Getting bath upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently installing my new bathroom and have purchased a stone kast bath, problem is it's a whopping 220kg and took four of us to lift inside in its crate.

I'm trying to work out how on earth to get it upstairs, how would the professionals do this?

Sponsored Links
Rather a site-specific question I'm afraid, options would include outdoor lifting gear and through a window, winch up the stairs, up over the banister, thinking about such things before the bath is ordered......

First thing I'd check would be that your intended installation location can take that weight - when it's full of water and in use you could have an imposed load of over 400 kg.

Next, is there sufficient space to allow the item to run straight up the stairwell and into the installation site?
Will the route allow for the high imposed load?

Scaffold planks/ winches/ temporary props & braces

Partial removal of first floor to allow for a vertical lift
Partial removal of roof to allow for a crane lift

Above all, a robust plan to prevent quarter of a tonne of bath breaking free and injuring someone or damaging the building!

Good points made by Newboy here - checking your floor can take the weight is an essential first step!

Sponsored Links
I think you may have to rethink this one op!

We just completed a house with several shower/bathrooms and the master bath was a freestanding unit which was nowhere near the weight of the one you've bought and we had to install sister joists into the floor as directed by the BCO and structural engineer!

Change plans and have the bath room on the ground floor. Or send it back and get one that is less heavy.

Even if you get it up into the bath room and the floor appears to take the weight it doesn't mean it will remain safe.

helium balloon :D:D

3 guys pushing and 3 pulling rather than trying to carry it. If it has a flat top edge then turn it onto that and use some old carpet as a sliding protector

Yes, sorry newboy, having re-re-read iI realise you meant while it was in transit rather than in place. Probably best not fill it & sit the wife in for the journey upstairs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back