Getting better locks on my front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just moved house - front door has a "chubb lock" at waist height (looks like a five-lever deadlock style, how can I confirm?) and a yale-lock at shoulder height (which as we know, can be opened with a coke bottle).

I don't feel this is enough.

What would you suggest? Remove the Yale and stick a second five-lever one in its place?

thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
Replace the Yale for a BS version that can be deadlocked and make sure you dead lock it when you go out, you'll not slip it with a coke bottle if it's deadlocked, the chubb if its a BS lock probably can't really be improved on much if at all

Replace the Yale for a BS version that can be deadlocked and make sure you dead lock it when you go out, you'll not slip it with a coke bottle if it's deadlocked, the chubb if its a BS lock probably can't really be improved on much if at all

Thanks buddy - didn't even know you could get a deadlocking Yale! only ever had chubbs. I need to find out if this front door is reinforced or not too, as it's got big glass panes in it for the top half which you could easily smash through to unlock the yale.

I'll pick one up this weekend, thanks mate!

Matt

If it's deadlocked no amount of putting your arm through broken glass WILL unlock it, you need the key. When leaving through the front door try putting the key in and turning 360° the opposite way to unlocking, this should double lock it, the internal handle cannot now open the lock, try it you might already have a double locking/deadlocking yale

Sponsored Links
Glass in doors requires it to be safety glass, toughened or laminated, in what other way would you expect the door to be reinforced, what type of door is it, hardwood, softwood, composite, steel faced?

Glass in doors requires it to be safety glass, toughened or laminated, in what other way would you expect the door to be reinforced, what type of door is it, hardwood, softwood, composite, steel faced?

Well, every day's a school day! Turns out it is a deadlock one :LOL: - good job you chimed in before I bought a new one and chucked a perfectly good one away. Thanks for that mate, much appreciated.

The door looks to be just wood to me, no idea what type - this ain't really my area. But my parents front door looks similar, only it's steel-reinforced apparently.

cheers
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back