New front door. Which locking spec- please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please could you comment/advise if you have experience/knowledge?

We are looking at either Solidoor, Doorstop or Rockdoor but it's not about which of the above...

Short version:- Can you get a good seal on these doors without the multipoint locking system- lift the lever (crunch-sound) door is pulled tight into place as hooks engage?

Has anyone got a GRP door that seals well without mult-point locking?

Longer version:

All of the above makes (AFAIK) are built like timber doors flat panel set in the frame like an old style- they do not have double rebates/ two places where draught-proofing is compressed between door and frame. This you get with most UPVC doors. We'd like such a level of draught-proofing but it's not possible with the brands we are interested in.

We are trying to find a door that has nightlatch and deadlock. This means no 'giveaway' mid-height lever handles that is so typical of almost all UPVC/GRP. The lever handles look daft on old style doors. see pic

Finally- the problem!- is that if we don't have a lever handle, which you lift to engage multi point locking, we cannot get the level of seal/draughtproofing (we think) One tradesman who will fit our choice of Rockdoor spec has expressed doubts that we'll get a very good seal, given only two locks at mid height- the nightlatch and deadlock.

Please please can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi

If you are looking for a high spec double rebated composite door as per your requirements have a look at veka/bowater duo or duo diamond composite doors

The door is thicker than the majority of standard composite doors currently on the market as well and veka are a well respected leading brand

We had our veka door from mpn windows http://www.mpnwindows.com/composite-doors.php and are very happy with it, just make sure that you get it installed well as you could get the best door on the market but if it's fitted badly then it defeats the object

.. just make sure that you get it installed well as you could get the best door on the market but if it's fitted badly then it defeats the object

A good point that I kept off post but certainly on our minds ; hard to find a manufacturer that has fitters other than Everest etc.

Seems a warranty claim from hell- £1400 door that leaks or is with gaps/draughty only to be between private fitter and manufacturer. Not that this has been my experience.

Back to your door- what kind of locking mechanism have you got please?

And thanks for the reply!

Sorry I'm no expert so I hope this answers your question it's a Yale lock and the door is police approved secure by design and pas23 and pas24 security

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert either.... :confused:

To clarify the question maybe...
When you lock from the inside, say for the night, do you have to pull up a lever handle to engage the locking points before turning the key? If you don't, and your door seals up firmly all the way around, then we'd like a door like yours!

My pic- the door has no lever handle to suit the style of the door. If we go for that design we loose the locking system as above, which pulls the seals together tightly. This means the door needs to be very well made and fitted. Any warp or wind in the door and it will leak air or worse. A warped composite door (afaik) is not likely but I've never owned, fitted or fixed one!

On our door on the outside it has a handle just seen on your first post that you don't want a handle

I think because it is double rebated it has a better seal than standard composite doors

I have heard of double rebated composite doors but I cant remember off the top of my head who did them, possibly Residence 9 using Solidor panels, Have a look on their website.

As for the other bits I know Doorstop do a door with slam locks where the multi point locking engages automatically when you close the door (ie you don't have to lift the handle) but you still need to turn the key to lock (Or go for their keyless remote locking.
They also do a rim lock option but I think all their doors are still fitted with a standard handle as well.

It could well be worth sending an email to both Doorstop and Solidor to see if they could do anything close to what you would like, You could also ask them to recommend some local installers.

Just noticed your in Somerset too, Anywhere near Minehead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back