getting cable up through skirting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i need to cut a section out of a skirting board to get cable to a socket from under te floor boards and then put it back afterward. what is the best way to do this, is there a jig blade that sticks out infront of the jigsaw?

ben

Sponsored Links
hi
go to b & q and get some 12mm steel bar....
put it in a floor drain and put a bit of a bend in it-like a banana.....
cut it down to around 14inch, so it fits in your tools.....
cut a small incision in the plaster where you wish the socket to be....
use your bendy bar and hammer to knock down behind the skirting....
if there is wood there the bar will punch through it....

then bring the wiring up behind the skirt...
if the bar jams, grip it using pliers under your newly formed mushroom head on your bar and knock upwards with the hammer...
best wishes

I prefer to use a 1000mm SDS+ masonry bit to drill behind the skirting and drill through the floor board.

As for a tool. The Bosch Multi Tool PMF 180 E should do the trick. I don't have one myself but everyone who does have one seems to rate them well.

Apparently, B&Q are flogging them off cheap this weekend.

Of if it is a stud wall, an angle drill from below, or inside the wall.

Sponsored Links
I tend to work 90% on older properties with high skirting.

* An SDS bit drilled along the chase from socket box to skirting top will often pull the skirting back and mess up the wall to skirting seal.

I chase between box position and top of skirting and then use a 14mm multi drill (mixed masionary / wood use) at about 10 deg off vertical to push a route through the plaster behind the skirting and through the floor board.

* There is seldom room to get a drill under the floor and make a hole from the under side.

If things get really difficult I resort to making an inspection hole in the skirting near the floor with a 38mm hole cutter. From the inspection hole I can drill in to the floor board, and the bit above the inspection hole (ie the plaster behind the skirting) is a gentle drift with a piece of threaded rod- M12 does the job.

hi
as chri5 rightly says anything straight will /may pop the seal between the skirt and the wall, so the "bendy bar" really is the only way to go.
as i say, if there is flooring in the way you can punch straight through it and reverse knock the bar out with pliers:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back