Getting gas main removed after 1 year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blanked off gas pipe sticking into my new shop and I want it removed.
I had the meter removed last year, but the quote for removing the pipe was £900. (They said they would have to dig up the busy road)

I then left it a while and it will soon be a year.

I have now been told that after a year you can request that a capped off mains pipe be removed and they have to do this free of charge! Could anyone confirm this is correct and if so how do I go about getting this done?

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe in your shop part of an old installation, or supply pipe to a meter?

Yes this pipe comes straight in through the front wall and used to have a meter on it. They took the meter away for the bargin price of £180! Fair enough, it did take them nearly five minutes.

Sponsored Links
After a year yes they are meant to isolate the service to a premises but usually takes far longer , This can be done either by shutting down the house entry tee or digging up and capping in the street and does not cost the customer a penny .

It's a shop and I don't need gas, plus it's position was in the way. They charge you a daily rate while you have a meter even if you have nothing connected to it.
Shop's opening 2nd April. I need the pipe gone before then
www.gadgettree.co

It's a shop and I don't need gas, plus it's position was in the way. They charge you a daily rate while you have a meter even if you have nothing connected to it.
Shop's opening 2nd April. I need the pipe gone before then
[url]www.gadgettree.co[/url]

7 minutes so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back