Getting Internet to DVR in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about having my DVR in the loft. What do the pros do to get Internet to it?

Whats the cheapest option, best option and/or easiest option.

I have used TP:link powerlines in the past for my intercom but what would the pros do to get Internet to the loft DVR?

Hope someone can help

Sponsored Links
I’m not a pro but I did use a powerline for mine for some time. Worked fine but when I replaced my downstairs floor, I took the opportunity to install an Ethernet which I extended upstairs. Still works fine but I also took the opportunity to run a 15m HDMI cable between my TV and my DVR so that I can watch the CCTV instantly on my TV instead of logging on to my phone/iPad. Someone else on here also used a wireless mouse for more controlability on the downstairs TV but that didn’t work for me.

I’m not a pro but I did use a powerline for mine for some time. Worked fine but when I replaced my downstairs floor, I took the opportunity to install an Ethernet which I extended upstairs. Still works fine but I also took the opportunity to run a 15m HDMI cable between my TV and my DVR so that I can watch the CCTV instantly on my TV instead of logging on to my phone/iPad. Someone else on here also used a wireless mouse for more controlability on the downstairs TV but that didn’t work for me.

This is exactly what I am thinking... powerline adapter

shame the wireless mouses are not stronger signal... wonder if anyone has a walk around... as I would love to have the recorder in loft but still be able to control from my TV.....

shame the wireless mouses are not stronger signal...
The mouse I bought is 'supposed' to have a 15m range which should have been enough but obviously walls and ceilings are blocking the signal. I have a plan. I have a way of getting the mouse receiver within 2m of me by dropping a USB extension lead down a void from the loft. I’ve ordered it and will report back on whether it works or not!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
shame the wireless mouses are not stronger signal... wonder if anyone has a walk around... as I would love to have the recorder in loft but still be able to control from my TV.....
I have a way of getting the mouse receiver within 2m of me by dropping a USB extension lead down a void from the loft. I’ve ordered it and will report back on whether it works or not!
It works! I bought a 5m USB extension cable, plugged the remote mouse receiver into one end, dangled it down a void as far as I could until it was about 2.5m of the lounge, switched the mouse on and all good. Full control of the system as if I was up in the loft next to it. :)(y)

It works! I bought a 5m USB extension cable, plugged the remote mouse receiver into one end, dangled it down a void as far as I could until it was about 2.5m of the lounge, switched the mouse on and all good. Full control of the system as if I was up in the loft next to it. :)(y)

Legend, sounds good!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back