Getting into routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm afraid my first post here consists of me asking for a load of advice. :LOL:

My carpentry skills are woefully basic. I can make plain skirting and do basic boxwork, but I'd like to be able to make detailed skirting, dado, coving, shelves etcetra, so I'm going to get into routing.

So then, I've got a number of questions, and if anyone reading this is able to answer one or more of them I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

1. How much of a hassle is routing without a table?

2. I've got two bog-standard workbenches - could they be used instead of a router table if I put a board across them? Is a flat elevated surface enough to constitute a basic router table?

3. Given the stuff I'd mainly be doing (skirting, dado, coving), which router bits would I: a) need b) find useful but not essential ?

4. When I buy a power tool I nearly always choose either Makita or DeWalt, as it makes sense in the long run to get the best. I've noticed though that there is a company called Trend which seems to specialize in router technology. Would anyone recommend them over the other two brands?

5. I've been thinking about getting a cheap Ferm 1/4 collet router (£30) before investing in a top brand, so that I can try it out and see if routing is for me. Has anyone used a dirt cheap router before, and if so did you find any major disadvantages to such?

Many thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
No hassle with a non-slip router mat underneath your workpiece.
Trend are the best for routing. Go to www.trendmachinery.co.uk
you'll be there hours. They've got everything you'll ever need for routing, as well as budget routers.

I wouldn't buy the best router until you discover if routing is for you. Then again don't but the cheapest as they will struggle with most jobs and will give a poor finish and may put you off. Get a midrange Trend and you won't go far wrong. If decide you want to do dados etc. then you would be sensible to get a proper table that hold the router inverted. It's safer and a lot easier that way plus many cutters should only be used in a fixed router. Trend also do those

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back