Routing chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to route the edges on some 16mm chipboard (loft boarding) panels so there was 4 lengths of 4 foot to do.

After 1 length it was taking longer and I examined the bit (which came free with the router) and it had burn marks and the cutting edge was worn (visibly)

I'm guessing the (cheap) router bits are HSS? Surely this should be upto the job of routing chipboard?

What's gone wrong? I was feeding the router against the pressure of the bit (I was only taking a thinish slice off the end of the boards) I think there is an arrow on the router as well which I assume is the direction you are supposed to move the router?

The bit is about 10-12mm diameter and router speed was on maximum - was it just too fast?

Sponsored Links
chipboard is horrible stuff it can contain bits off metal and other rubbish

if you are using a 1/4 inch router and your cutter is captive [cutting a trench rather than an edge ] you should be cutting half the shank size per pass so a series of 3mm deep passes full speed keep moving high feed rate
if its only 2mm off the surface you could go for 12 to14mm per pass

There was nothing wrong with your direction of feed by the sound of it, nor with the speed you selected.

HSS bits are not suitable for chipboard, which is abrasive at the best of times. Cheaper TC bits may be OK for a while, but often the carbide is coarse, or poorly attached.

Sponsored Links
men - the freebee HSS bits are OK (for a while) on softwood but any man-made stuff needs Tungsten Carbide. Consider getting a decent cutter (Trend or similar) which should give a decent service life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back