Getting new interior doors (custom)? Where to go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our double doors that separate the living room & diner, as far as i am aware they are a strange size?
Exactly 78 inch in height
Exactly 59cm in width

Sorry for the format switch but those are the exactlies. :)

They're brown (previous owner seemed to LOVE anything & everything brown - we're currently looking at replacing our brown sink!!) so we want them gone. One side is battered from where their dog tried to chew through it.

Not quite sure what style door we want yet but i'd be happy with like-for-like.

Just, where to begin with in looking for such a door?

Sponsored Links
I had an almost identical situation in my domicile ;)
The previous owner had diy'ed them. A decent enough effort project wise, must have taken him some time, but I hated them... All unbalanced frame and door wise, and he'd used 'tulip' glass and didn't realise as some of the panes had tulips upside down or horizontalo_O
I went to a local joinery company and had them make a bespoke set for me. Their price was surprisingly reasonable and the resulting look was excellent!
Worth getting an estimate or two...(y)

So it's looking out the yellow pages for a joiner then :) Thanks. Just didn't know who to turn to really.

Will have to see if any friends/family know of any good joiners.

Google; him say...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...e=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#istate=lrl:mlt

Try and find a small, local shop rather than something like Howdens. You'll get a craftsman with his own local reputation and likely some sample photos to look at, also, he'll make everything from scratch whereas a national firm will use stocked doors and fabricate a frame around them to take up any gaps left to fit it into the opening... This can give an unbalanced look with light framing to doors and heavy framing to door frame!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd say sawn down, then planed. 10mm off either side which will work if doors are solid timber, but could make them look unbalanced depending on style. Could also give you problems with door furniture (locks handles etc).
If a lightweight component/composite door, then lipping on lock and hinge edges is unlikely to allow 10mm removal each edge! That's why it may be worth having them made!

They will be planed, no one in there right mind would attempt trimming a few mm with a saw.If I had openings that narrow then I would consider changing the split to a door and a half.

Last edited:
Noticing you're in Lancashire, you could maybe use http://pineoakiofurniture.com/
They're in Keighly. They mostly make kitchens but they will also make doors or anything else to your spec. I recently had some panelled doors made the traditional way by them, and the price was the same as a (decent) off-the-shelf door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back