Getting profane with my propane...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a small camper hob and have only two compression connections - one onto the hob and the other connecting the 8mm copper to the rubber hose which goes to the regulator. The regulator happened to come with a gauge which obviously is not that useful for seeing how much gas is left (some or none is how it will work) but useful for checking for leaks. This gauge is showing me that I lose all my pressure over around 6 hours - switching on gas to fill the pipework and then switching off and then monitoring. This is a very small leak - I can't detect it with soapy water and I can't smell it at all - I can actually put my nose on both these connectors. If I hadn't got the gauge I would have assumed everything was ok - even with a manometer if I gave it 30 mins or so I might not have seen anything change as the gauge shows no change for the first hour or so.

I am tightening the nuts a little each time to see if I can make a difference but so far the leak remains and I have made no difference to the time I lose all the gas. The compression fittings came with brass olives and I have read somewhere that copper olives give a better seal -does anyone have experience of this. I have also been told that gas PTFE tape shouldn't be used on these kind of fittings. I'm running out of thread to tighten on both connections. I can also detect no leak on the threaded regulator connection to the bottle or the rubber hose connection.

Grateful for any comments or advice.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I've installed a small camper hob and have only two compression connections - one onto the hob and the other connecting the 8mm copper to the rubber hose which goes to the regulator. The regulator happened to come with a gauge which obviously is not that useful for seeing how much gas is left (some or none is how it will work) but useful for checking for leaks. This gauge is showing me that I lose all my pressure over around 6 hours - switching on gas to fill the pipework and then switching off and then monitoring. This is a very small leak - I can't detect it with soapy water and I can't smell it at all - I can actually put my nose on both these connectors. If I hadn't got the gauge I would have assumed everything was ok - even with a manometer if I gave it 30 mins or so I might not have seen anything change as the gauge shows no change for the first hour or so.

I am tightening the nuts a little each time to see if I can make a difference but so far the leak remains and I have made no difference to the time I lose all the gas. The compression fittings came with brass olives and I have read somewhere that copper olives give a better seal -does anyone have experience of this. I have also been told that gas PTFE tape shouldn't be used on these kind of fittings. I'm running out of thread to tighten on both connections. I can also detect no leak on the threaded regulator connection to the bottle or the rubber hose connection.

Grateful for any comments or advice.

Many thanks

Are you lpg registered?

Not allowed to use brass olives with lpg. I can't pictur a gauge which would tell you pressure in the pipe, surely just in the bottle and I certainly wouldn't trust it.

Sponsored Links
Oh god when will you people learn look at boating accidents they're caused by leaking joints
and when they blow boy do they blow get a RGI in with a LPG ticket.Bob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back