Regulator for 47kg Propane tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a 47kg propane gas bottle to feed the gas hob of my cooker.

Just had to swap the hose from the just emptied propane tank to a new one but there seems to be a small leak where the regulator screws into the propane tank's outlet. It wasn't leaking when on the old tank so I assume that corrosion has taken place somewhere on the regulator's thread, or something similar ?

Anyhow, I guess a replacement regulator (plus hose as the old one is pretty old but still intact) is the best solution?

If so, I guess I need a regulator rated at 37mb? I can barely read the printing on the old regulator, it says 37mb I think (the '3' may be a '5' but it looks unlikely). I guess 37mb is the norm for a 47kg tank?

Also, about the pipe which leads leads to my gas hob that the regulator hose connects to - mine is 10mm width but a lot of the kits I find on Amazon have a hose with an internal ID of 8mm - is this normal in the sense that the smaller internal ID of the hose ensures a tighter fit on the pipe? (plus hose clips of course)?

I'm thinking of buying this one:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Propane bottles use POL fittings to seal the seal is made by the convex fitting making a snug gastight joint against the concave fitting on the bottle. Occasionally, they may not seal perfectly, I used to use a smear of Jetblue (or similar) on the male fitting, worked every time.
The hoses AFAIK are standard, and should be renewed every 5 yrs

Thanks very much.

What is Jetblue? I've googled it and can't find it relative to this subject.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If so, I guess I need a regulator rated at 37mb? I can barely read the printing on the old regulator, it says 37mb I think (the '3' may be a '5' but it looks unlikely). I guess 37mb is the norm for a 47kg tank?
37mb is correct for propane. The size of the tank doesn't come into it.

Thank you. And that fact that the pipe that I'll be connecting the hose to is 10mm and the internal ID of the replacement hose is 8mm is presumably to ensure a tight connection when the hose is fitted?

Are you happy doing the work yourself? Are you happy doing the work yourself as it could affect your house insurance?

Not trying to be a killjoy but trying to ensure you understand the risks.

By the way... The new requirement is to have valve that cuts the gas off if it goes over (or under) operating pressure (37mb). (Well it certainly is when supplied by Calor.)

You know, I hadn't thought about the house insurance aspect, thanks for the heads up. I'm more than happy to do the work but you know what insurers are like, if there's ever a related problem in the future and they can pin the blame on me I'm sure they would so that they could avoid paying out.

I now think I'll get in my local plumber!

Didn't know about that new requirement either, will mention it to the plumber.

Last edited:
Thank you. And that fact that the pipe that I'll be connecting the hose to is 10mm and the internal ID of the replacement hose is 8mm is presumably to ensure a tight connection when the hose is fitted?
I don't know much about propane hobs, but I assume any propane burner needs 37mb, strictly speaking at the burner. There will always be some pressure loss in the hose, which should be sized for acceptable loss, depending on design gas flow. But if the old hose was OK and you replace like for like there won't be a problem.

Just so you know, propane is actually more dangerous than natural gas as it's heavier than air and sinks so by the time there's anough to detect it, it could be too late, shouldn't be DIY'd.

The cylinder connections are brass and should only need a quick clean up, before the cylinder are connected the valve is blown clean if there wasn't a plastic cover on the end of the connection. That and use the correct spanner to tighten properly

Get a GSR engineer with LPG on his ticket to do the work, safer all round. Also you may want to consider getting a auto cut off change over valve/manifold kit fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back