47Kg Propane Gas Cylinder Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but hopefully it will be posted correctly.

I have a 47Kg Propane Gas cylinder in my garden that runs my propane gas fire.

I have recently fitted a HiLo Gauge so I can check the amount of gas in the cylinder. This was placed between the regulator and the gas valve.

I am fairly sure that when the cylinder was last changed by Flogas the compression joint to the gas valve was fitted "bare" i.e no pfte tape or similar was fitted so I have done the same with the new fitting.

Is this correct please?

If not what should I use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We don't give DIY gas advice on this forum, and you shouldn't be working on it as you clearly don't know what you're doing. All I will say is that your installation should not be used until it has been checked, tested, and if necessary corrected by a Gas Safe Registered engineer who is qualified to work on LPG and gas fires

As an aside, does anyone know the cost of getting a cylinder and of having a refill?

I was going to use one for a gas boiler but have since managed to get a far cheaper nat gas connection and the full cylinder is an embarrassment and target for thieves quite apart from the safety issues!

Tony

Propane refills are around £53 for a 47kg bottle around here.
'I think at least a brushfull of soapy water around any joints would help the OP see if there are any leaks......' he said vaguely.
John :)

Sponsored Links
But is there a one off or hire charge for the bottle?

There can be but you'll almost certainly need a receipt for the hire charge if you want to get it back

Thanks for the replies.

I don't wish to be facetious and I would understand the advice on calling out a qualified gas engineer if my question related directly to a gas fire or other appliance, which I would not touch anyway for obvious reasons.

However, I hardly feel that changing a gas cylinder over requires a gas engineer especially when consumer advice on changing a cylinder is contained on all the major suppliers sites like Calor, Flogas etc.

Since the replies I have searched further and it seems that the conical shape of the fitting that goes into the gas valve fitting makes a gas tight seal when tightened which seems to answer my own question.

It was just me being ultra cautious.

Gas safe registered for changing a gas cylinder?
someone better tell all those ****** and caravaners.

I would have thought if it needs tape there is something wrong.

I don't believe that has been "starred" out.
Lets call them travelling people :)

If its the connection to the bottle, then it doesn't need tape, it's a taper seal.

Remember, it's a reverse thread.. ;)

Calor bottle fittings do not need tape, leaks can be tested for with leak spray or at a push soapy water, weighing the cylinder will give as good an indication as any. As far as I know said gauges that are based on presure are next to useless as untill there is not liquid left at the bottom the presure is contant, thats just physics. Its not like a argon cyclinder.

Daniel

As an aside, does anyone know the cost of getting a cylinder and of having a refill?
Prices on calors site are below:
https://secure.calor.co.uk/ordercalorcylinders/default.asp?PageType=propane

Calor charge a 'rental agreement fee' if you dont have a bottle to have refilled, but this is then lost if your return it. So if you want a one-off your much better either borrowing a bottle, getting one from your local tip, or using another supplier such as Flogas. Not that I said that....

Daniel

I have recently fitted a HiLo Gauge so I can check the amount of gas in the cylinder.
You'll be disappointed - it does not and cannot tell you the cylinder contents.

The pressure is determined by the temperature of the cylinder/contents<period> The pressure, at any given temperature, will be the same whether the cylinder is completely full or has just one drip of liquid remaining.

It may give you a very vague inference of cylinder contents since as you draw off gas, the cylinder will cool. The temperature of the remaining liquid, and hence pressure, will reduce as the cylinder contents reduce. However, this will be vague at best - affected by draw off rate, ambient temperature, and cylinder environment.

Anyone telling you otherwise is selling snake oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back