Getting Quotes for Works

Sponsored Links
Basically the worst option is paying massive amounts upfront as it puts you at risk.

Is that advice for builders or clients?
Clients obviously.

Buidlers can protect themselves with staged payments or gettign the customer to buy large orders direct if they wish.

I think for high value jobs though the buidler may not win a job if they cannot fund some of it to start.

I am sure there are builders of both types out there so OP can find the type he wants.

I pay them a fixed amount each week - with them making a profit at the end
Builders don't make a profit at the end. They make a profit at each stage of the job and are entitled to be paid as such.

Buidlers can protect themselves with staged payments or gettign the customer to buy large orders direct if they wish.
I think you meant to say "and" getting. Clients buying themselves lots of stuff to use themselves is no protection for the builder.

Attempting to lure builders with a heavily biased incentive in favour of the client, is not going to garner any interest from busy builders. In particular now that the building trade is buoyant again.

We are turning work down unless clients are prepared to wait 6 months or so. Once a builder is in a position where he can cherry pick work, then the awkward jobs stay at the bottom of the pile.

Sponsored Links
I think you meant to say "and" getting. Clients buying themselves lots of stuff to use themselves is no protection for the builder.

Attempting to lure builders with a heavily biased incentive in favour of the client, is not going to garner any interest from busy builders. In particular now that the building trade is buoyant again.

We are turning work down unless clients are prepared to wait 6 months or so. Once a builder is in a position where he can cherry pick work, then the awkward jobs stay at the bottom of the pile.

Good for you but in the line of my work having dealt with numerous tradesman disputes I stand by my advice. I've seen too many consumers done over.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I think I will project manage the whole lot now. I will be back for more advice later!!

Thanks again everyone.

've had work done by this guy before. His workmanship's good + he's reliable in that he keeps to his word.
So you gotta ask yourself, after you've gone and got two more quotes rather than digging up an ancient thread on here and expecting us to have a clue as to exactly how much work is involved and pointlessly comment, how much that is worth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back