Getting rid of moss that is taking over the lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have two questions:

1.) I got a bag of ferrous sulfate from the garden store and used the spreader to apply it. As it is a powder I gave the back garden a light sprinkle (The hose won't reach the front).

We then had a good rain around 12 hours later.

A lot of the moss is dead now in the back but the front doesn't seem to have taken to it as well. The only thing I could think of is the rain washed away the powder before it could get absorbed by the moss.

Should I only be using it when there is no rain in the forecast? Or now that it has rained, do I just need to be patient and wait 24 hours to see the effects?

2.) Whats my next step once I get rid of the moss - The moss isn't due to low direct sun but instead REALLY poor soil quality. After I rake the dead moss, should I spread some nitrogen rich fertilizer (I have pelleted poultry manure which works great elsewhere) or spread new seed first?

Thanks!
Jason

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back