Getting rid of rats

Sponsored Links
I had a call out last week where a mouse/rat ate through a water supply to a washing machine and flooded the Tesco's below. The fire brigade were called out to turn off the water.

Andy

Wife's dog did not like vacuum cleaner, left it out one day, returned home to find vacuum cleaner cable cut with no longer than 6 inch lengths where dog had repeatedly attacked the cable, cable still live, and dog seemed OK. Of course before we had RCD protection. Seems 230 volt not enough to kill rats or dogs.

... Seems 230 volt not enough to kill rats or dogs.
I'm sure that it is enough, in the right circumstances. However, as I've suggested, if the animal's feet etc are fairly well isolated from earth, then a 'mouth-to-mouth' shock is probably not all that likely to kill (any species of animal, including humans).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've several times found several feet of cable in our barn, neatly stripped of all insulation, power still on. I've never found any electrocuted rats.

There are only two possibilities that I can see:
a) They drag a piece of insulated board to stand on while they very delicately nibble round each cable, then take the board away afterwards
b) They turn the power off first, then turn it on again when they have had their fill.

Rats are very clever.
c) they recover the bodies.

December 24th 2015, wifey was at work in the morning and left me a list of jobs. She got home about 2pm to find a certain amount of mess, not much but enough to upset her, and an untouched list of jobs.

When I'd switched the landing light on the RCD tripped and would not reset. In the loft I found lots of metres of cable with no insulation on the top and I'd spent all morning making repairs. Not only that the b****y squirrels had eaten the scarer device

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back