Rats and mice poison

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big problem with rats and mice have seen both in my garden seen a mice in my kitchen heard them under my bedroom floor and there we are playing mesh up new holes quicker than they can make new ones big enough. anyway i been using The Big Cheese All-Weather bait blocks and RACO rat and mice bait for a day or 2 now both use Difenacoum as the poison and was wondering has anyone here had much success with getting rid of mice and rats using either brands? i heard of black pearl for mice after i brought those 2 so might look in to that.any advice guys? am putting the bait where the guy from council put them couple years back but my local council has got rid of pest control now :( have got 4 bait boxes outside as i have dogs

Sponsored Links
I don't think the bands make much difference. It's like medicines, there are lots of brands essentially selling the same thing. Mouse / Rat poison generally have either Difenacoum or bromadiolone. I've had poor success with both, mice in my area eat them like sweets. You say you've used them for a couple of days, it will be a couple of weeks or a month before you see if it works. You'll smell it if it does (the dead mice)

What I have had great success with is Flocoumafen, it's a one kill poison. and I've bought "Storm Secure blocks" from ratbait. nb its for *indoor use only*. Obviusly you are doing the right thing blocking the holes (put a fine mesh over the air bricks) prevention is better than the cure, but if you're in an old house they may be interconnected somehow under the floorboards / walls. Black Pearl may be good, I've had no experience of it, although this and storm secure are professional use only

Outdoors I don't know if you're near water or about your area but the best thing to do is make your garden as unappealing as possible, no clutter. I did put poison in a special bait station outdoor at one point (I live near water and a park where people chuck all sorts of crap feeding the flying rats aka pigeons) but I used a tub of bait and thought i'd end up making the mice / rats immune if they didn't get enough of it and was attracting them to a "food source" so knocked that on the head and left it to the foxes

I prefer mechanical traps you can dispose of the bodies easier, who wants dead vermin rotting under the floor boards.
Some rats have now become immune to standard rat poisons.

I prefer mechanical traps you can dispose of the bodies easier, who wants dead vermin rotting under the floor boards.
Some rats have now become immune to standard rat poisons.

I agree... but mice seem to be amazingly intelligent where I am and avoid all traps. I've tried them all, the only one I've had good success with is the electronic mouse traps, they are expensive.

The downside is if you don't check for a while and it catches one and you miss the light flashing, the rotting mouse ruins the contacts / inside.

Sponsored Links
I have 6 rat traps on order i just hope the rats are not as bright as the mice as the mice eat the peanut butter and sod off happy. i move the trap they go off. They have consumed or moved the 20 or blocks to their den so hopefully soon. tho i suspect they just took it all but not eaten lots. if i get much more ill think about adopting a cat and let him do the work. my dogs may not get on with the cat tho.

My garden used to be called cat alley but since the cats stopped using my garden as a short cut we had problems since.

The bait stations and the traps are and will be checked at least once every 24 hours.

This is war!

Chocolate is good for mice , though we did see one perchesd on the dog bowl having a snack.

within 18 hours of the traps going down 2 dead rats! :D :D couple of hours later saw one dead in garden and another this morning in the garden.

Now i think I'm winning that war i just found a mice in my draw in my bedroom. the mice escaped. so I'm hoping it's been trapped and its not a family there. setting up 2 traps later in the hope peanut butter can tempt him to end his life. I had a feeling i had friends in my room at night

you never have just one mouse in a house. if you've seen one (you didnt say if it was a mummy mouse or a baby) chances are you have at least 5 or 6 more

Not everybody's method of choice, but our two Border Terrorists like nothing better than a good rat hunt...

TBH didnt get a good enough look at the thing. My dogs (cocker spaniels) are going ape i would let them go but there is lots of poison down and hopefully eaten.

getting to stage to call someone out but TBH im following what the pest control guy from council did couple years back. only thing they can do is use more powerful stuff i think?

cheers stuartgweston Those traps are baited even tried chocolate and peanut butter and no more dead. i read that once a rat sees his mate dead on one they never go there which is what im witnessing now :( .

The mice in bedroom not sure if he is dead tho i can smell something so im hoping the bait i put down did the trick. i have covered all air bricks with modeling mesh put bait in loft space even had the back door closed for last 2 weeks even tho its been very hot. more expense with buying a couple of large fans.

Trying to get my dogs friendly with a mates cat so i can hopefully get one and let that be my rat and mice catcher. i just hope he would be better than larry!

anyone got any tips on how to get rid of mice coming up to back door? i have door closed but dogs are going ape. mice have been eating the bait i have left in the garden but they seem to just eat it and survive.

You need to find out where they are nesting and put the tray around there (probably an outbuilding.)

Sticking them outside or in the garden is silly as you'll get the wildlife, birds etc as well.

Only put about a teaspoon in the tray, then top up when its gone.

You need to find out where they are nesting and put the tray around there (probably an outbuilding.)

Sticking them outside or in the garden is silly as you'll get the wildlife, birds etc as well.

Only put about a teaspoon in the tray, then top up when its gone.

When i say i put it outside only thing that can get to the bait is anything that can get through standard square mesh that i made is to a box so it was dog proof held together by wire. birds cant peck at it either. also moved the rat bait stations and put these where i see the mice coming from.

Would you know if mice nest anywhere near where i assume the rats are/were nesting?

Rats and mice are unlikely to live together so no, if there's rats in the shed there wont be mice in the shed, more likely baby rats.

If you put more than one bait station out make sure they're a good distance apart and don't overload them, a teaspoon is plenty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back