Filling a hole that rats are getting through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had a couple of rats get into the floor cavities in our house, and I'm trying to work out how to block of the hole that is giving them access, which unfortunately isn't that easy.

We have an internal soil pipe that is boxed off and comes down behind some kitchen units. If I pull the units back there is an access hole into the boxed off section where I can see that there seems to be a largish gap in the floor.

I need to fill this hole really as I'm pretty sure this is where the rats are getting in. This is complicated by a few things:
1) The access I have to get to the hole is quite small, and there are a few obstructions including the soil pipe itself.
2) The hole I'm trying to fill covers quite a large area, running into the wall behind the soil pipe. The furthest point from access I have is quite far away, probably nearly 60cm.
3) There are some plastic pipes running just above the hole. I don't want to encase these in concrete really, so I need to be careful to only just reach below their level.

Ideally what I need is some sort of very thin (runny) concrete like substance that I can squirt in from my access point and it will then easily spread out to reach the furthest point away from my access point, but still set solid of course.

I don't have any experience with any self leveling compounds or anything like that, but I get the impression that most of these work on the basis that they are applied fairly evenly in the first place. This isn't something I will be able to do.

My only other alternative is to come at it from the other side and knock a fairly large hole in the wall to get better access, but this is far from ideal.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. My wife is getting very stressed about our current unwanted guest!

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Squirt a bit of expanding foam in hole then before it sets drop in crushed/broken glass.

Sponsored Links
I think that might work thanks. It just depends whether I can pack such a large area tight enough I think. I'll give it a try.

Do you know why they are coming in? ie food/water.
Try & kill them before you block it up.
I had rat(s) under my shed, took 6 weeks before they all went.
If you read about rats, its interesting, but horrible ba***trds

I think you need to deal with this problem rather than goin for half-measures even if it means taking off the kitchen units so you have full access.

Also, rats are quite crafty, once that hole is blocked they will look for others, this is why you need to take all units off and fill all holes, that way you know that room is completely sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back