Getting scratches out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a metallic blue mondeo and there are a handful of scratches that I want to remove. Some are very light and I could polish out but some have gone through the paint to the primer.

Is there a product that anyone can recommend as being good for this. I know Tcut is meant to be good but upon researching there seems to be loads of different products.

Can anyone recommend a particularly good make??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The product needed depends on the severity of the scratch.

Very light scratchs & swirls - A good polish (Autoglym Super Resin or Mer etc) - they don't contain silicon like cheaper stuff can. Or Car Plan Colour Magic that polishes but contains a colour pigment that may help to mask a scratch.

Deeper more visible but not through paint - Try a cutting polish that will remove some of the surrounding paint and blend the scratch in, Autoglym paint renovator, Car Plan TCut/TCut metallic

Very deep but still not through paint - a more abrasive cutter, Car Plan cutting compound (almost solid stuff in a flat tin) or Mer Scratch remover (thick, in a tube)

If you are through to the primer or deeper (without rust) but the scratches are isolated and thin try Car Plan paint pencils, these are excellent and come in a pen like a felt tip but its REAL PAINT not like some crayon and pen maskers. Theses are not colour specific but the range has recently expanded to cover lights, brights, mids, darks, clear topcoats and metalics for most colours. Provided the scratch is not too wide you will never see it. (build it up above scratch then allow to fully set before using a cutting compound to bring it flat ) or very fine wet and dry - 1500 grit. Then a good polish to bring it back to a good finish.

Bigger scratches and rusted areas need to be fully prepared and the correct colour matched paint applied.

If you can find it (some Motor-Worlds still stock it - internal code 2607 000 0006 about 24.99, check contents before leaving store) then the Mer Scratch and Stonechip Repair kit is an excellent thing - if for nothing else than for the video you get with it!

Another thing - use a rough, slightly abrasive textured cloth like stockinette it will make it a bit easier on your elbow!

Good Luck,

Phil

Firstly on Metallic paint you should never use a cutting polish as all metallic paint has a lacquer top coat. A light polish is all that is needed. The problem with a scratch on a metallic based car is the lacquer. You’ll never hide a scratch completely on a metallic based car.
Car Plan paint pencils are the best options, but not permanent.

You can get away with cutting metallic, if you do cut too deep (dulled too much and colour on your cloth) you can recover with a clear lacquer or special finish lacquer, it is ok to have thinner paint with a thicker topcoat to bring even, you will never notice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Phil, Ive seen good reviews of the Mer repair kit and theres an online store selling it.

Cheers.

I had a guy repair some scratches on my car caused by a windscreen repairer leaning on the paintwork with gloves covered in broken glass. Nasty stuff. The guy was from a company called "Chips Away", I think it is a national franchise, and used special resins that colour-match the paint. Takes a week or so to fully harden, but when it has you can't see the scratch. Took him an hour or so to do several deep (primer-depth) scratches.

As it was the glass company paying, I don't know how much it costs. But it is certainly worth finding out, if it's going to cost you £50 then it is probably worth it to remove the hassle factor and the risk.

Cheers Adam,

I looked them up on the internet, id never heard of them, Coming to give me a quote.

Thanks.

Back