Getting tap handle off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of here's a nack of getting these types of handle off a tap (see photos)?

Minor leak (coming from cartridge I suspect) so need to change, done these type before and you usually just undo the Allen screw at the back (which I've done) and they lift off. However, with this one, using a reasonable amount of force isn't budging it. Is it likely to be just limescale that's seized it up or am I missing something else?

Attachments

• IMG_5984.JPG
    IMG_5984.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5985.JPG
    IMG_5985.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Have you actually removed the grub screw, or just loosened it? The shaft under the centre of the handle is likely to be made of nylon, and grub screws can penetrate a fair way into the shaft, meaning that even if the screw is loose, it is still biting on the shaft.

Another, highly unlikely, possibility is two grub screws, one on top of the other. Sometimes used to lock pulleys to shafts, but I've never seen it done with taps.

Thanks for the reply. Finally got the handle off with copious amounts of WD40 and a lot of pulling. Also managed to get the collar off without damaging it. Thought the retaining nut would be the easy part but continuing the pain in the arse it's been up til now, it isn't a normal nut.

See attached picture - do I need a special tool to undo this? Tried to grip it with water pump pliers but it's going to damage the threads if I use any more force. Also tried tapping one of the holes with a screw driver and hammer anti clockwise but it's having none of it. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_5987.JPG
    IMG_5987.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
That's what I tried. Will see what it's like when WD40 has worked some more I guess.

OK it worked eventually - slowly slowly and all that.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back