Getting the right size wood burner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on woodburners.

I live in a smoke control zone so i need a defra approved stove to burn wood, the room size is 44 sq mtrs with normal height room 2.4m.

Ive used online calculators and it comes back with the average of 7kw required BUT what it does say is that, thats the get 22 deg inside temp with the external been 0 deg, so my question is

If i fit a 6.1kw (max) stove will be able to heat to room ok when the external temp is say 10 deg?

On the really cold days where it is 0 deg or below i will have 8 kw's or radiators to boost the heat giving total heat input into room to 14.1kw which will melt us.

The hope is it i can go with the 6.1kw stove i will be ok just to run it alone most of the winter but then on the odd day run the rads to boost.

Or i could just dig deaper in my pocket but we like this one.

Sponsored Links
what age is the property that it is being fitted into?

1950's got cavity walls done, upvc windows, upto current regs loft insulation etc.
here is the calc for your room measure the hight x width x lenth = total m3 then
for rooms about 57m3 x 0.022
for rooms about 85m3 x 0.02
then add on 50% this should give you the kws for the size of the room
any probs then just post sizes and i will work it out

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info mate.

I have used online calculators and they have come out at 7kw.

The room is 9mtrs long, 6mtrs wide for 6mtrs of the length then 3mtrs wide for the other 3 mtrs on length.

About 45 sq mtrs room is standard 2.4 mtrs high.

108m3 x 0.02 = 2.16 x 50% = 4.32?

Thanks for that info mate.

I have used online calculators and they have come out at 7kw.

The room is 9mtrs long, 6mtrs wide for 6mtrs of the length then 3mtrs wide for the other 3 mtrs on length.

About 45 sq mtrs room is standard 2.4 mtrs high.

108m3 x 0.02 = 2.16 x 50% = 4.32?
with them calcs i would recommend a 5kw fire
make sure your chimney is ok and been tested may need to reline it. if you dont use a hetas registered fitter(like me :D ) you will have to notify your local council building control which may cost you between £300-£400 were a hetas fitter can certify there own work.hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

I am gas safe engineer so i know the chimney is ok.

I am also doing an extension, so bc will be coming out to check that work, so i was going to fit the wood stove at the same time so i hope they will sign it off at the same time?

Thats great i might go for the 6.1kw stove we like, i worked out radiator sizing and i am going to fit 7 kw's of radiator power so thought i would need the same stove output.

Didnt want to buy a stove thats not powerful enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back