Gift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I've bored some of you with this before. As you know, I'm looking for a smart phone. Cost is a factor, but I need a large screen. I also would like 4G capability (so I am ready when it comes).

Given that, I have 4 contenders. The SIII, Mega, Note II and S4.
Of course, these could also (bar the Mega) be bought second hand.

I could also wait until September until the Note 3 is released, when the Note II price may well fall, but then I could wait forever in the hope of something else...

I'm initially attracted to the Mega, size wise.

Looking at the specs, do you think the it is worth going for? It has a much larger screen, but the spec is cut-down somewhat, and the price is not.

Of those phones in the screenshot, which would you go for and why?

Sponsored Links
Do you really want a phone the size of the Mega though? A lad I work with has the Galaxy Note smartphone. Hardly fits in his pocket and he looks stupid talking to his mates on it (almost needs both hands to hold it to his ear) I reckon ye'd be an easy target for muggers/ phone stealers walking down the street answering one of those big screen phones. ;)

S4 all day long, if you want a bigger screen get a tablet.

I have an S2 and a nexus7, having a big phone is quite annoying, even having it in your pocket is annoying.

AMOLED screens are simply the best, the S4 is the best specced even by your list.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, guys, appreciate your input.

jock: The size doesn't phase me too much. I need a decent screen size so I can see text clearly.

As for pockets, all the trousers I wear have large side pockets!

And if I were using it in the street, I'd use a Bluetooth set in conjunction with my hearing aids, so it'd be in my pocket anyway.

haze: I agree, AMOLED is tops, but is TFT bad? It's still 720. Not full HD, in my eyes, but they call it HD.

snico: yeah, I nearly had it a while back when CPW had it for £26/ month + £49 on 3 but I dithered (like I do.....) and missed it. Then I decided to wait till July for the Mega and compare the lot. I quite like the idea of the stylus with the Note II, but you could use a stylus with any of them I suppose.

I've known about the Mega for ages and was hoping the price would reflect the significantly cut down spec. I mean, you don't mind paying top-dollar for phones like the SGS4, knowing what you get for your money.

But the Mega seems to be a cut down phone for a not-so-cut down price. All the industry insiders were expecting it to be much cheaper.

EDIT: Just looked at CPW, they are doing the S4 for £25/month now, but on a lesser Voda tariff, but they've reduced the SIM free price from £580 to £500. Maybe worth a punt.... ;)

So when I get round to having a look at them working, I'll look at the Mega last!!

That's a good point, actually, because all the places I've been in so far have not had any handsets available as working models......

Dragging up an old thread, I know...

Some say S4 good, some say S4 bad.

Have heard bad things about Mega, that it does not have enough memory and crashes, a la Galaxy Ace.

SIII LTE is well overpriced compared to SIII.

Waiting for:

Note III..... ;)

and

Xperia Z Ultra - said to be the dog's bolux. Anyone corroborate?

Bigger than Galaxy Mega which is currently, (but not for long) the world's largest phablet.

6.4" triluminous screen.

1080p HD display

IP58 certified for dust & water

6.5mm thick

Quad core Snapdragon 800

I know its not on your list but the SIII is my choice ad that is I have one the went ot the S4 but have returned to the SIII as it performed so much faster and easier then the new S4
I have both and will wait to see if there are any updates that make the 4 more in my liking

Funny you should say that, I have since considered the SIII, especially as CPW have it at a good price at the minute, £288 SIM free.

Compared to £550 for the S4, that's a decent deal, nearly half price.

But it's not 4G ready, the LTE version is £450 (from 3).

I just think that if I'm going to be making such a huge leap (from my existing SE K800i) I might as well get 4G ready at the same time.

Are you not jumping the bandwagon just to have G4 ?
From past experience has it not been that the "all singing all dancing new" has been filled with glitch after glitch for a long time then when its working super fine they bring out yet another ??
I am still going to wait to see what the general outlook is before I venture from my SIII

After all it is a phone first and then if I want to stream I use other items

Bought a 3 sim card to road test it and if it performs well in my areas, I will port my number over.

3 have what they call Ultrafast which is faster than 3G but not quite 4G. This is rolled out now, but to use this service, you need a 4G handset.

Well, I've done it.

I've bought one.

Not been delivered yet though.

After all those months and years of research and deliberation.

:LOL:

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 920 and very happy with it, I've not been on the computer for over a week now, doing it all from this phone..

Sponsored Links
Back