Girl injured by 'exploding' phone charger on Bangor bus how?

I was on an Air Lingus flight recently, when the captain announced that he was getting interference on a navigation system, and would passengers please check their mobiles were switched off. After we'd all checked our phones and presumably someone had switched theirs off, the captain thanked us all and said the problem had gone away.

Shh - don't tell Al Qaeda.

Sponsored Links
The aircraft batteries are more dangerous than phone batteries
A plane could survive a burning battery without any injuries to crew or passengers

Except for the fact that they've been known to burn through the outer skin of the aircraft.

I wonder what fairy land some of you people live in.

I was on an Air Lingus flight recently, when the captain announced that he was getting interference on a navigation system, and would passengers please check their mobiles were switched off. After we'd all checked our phones and presumably someone had switched theirs off, the captain thanked us all and said the problem had gone away.

Shh - don't tell Al Qaeda.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Except for the fact that they've been known to burn through the outer skin of the aircraft. I wonder what fairy land some of you people live in.
I think bernard was just trying to illustrate that blanket generalisations/ assertions just don't work. Whilst it will often be the case that a burning battery on an aircraft represents a greater risk to life/limb than does a burning battery in a pocket, he appeared to be illustrating the fact that, in some situations, the opposite may be the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Except for the fact that they've been known to burn through the outer skin of the aircraft.
A hole in the fuselage is not certain to cause a crash, this aircraft flew several hundred miles in this state, rapid response by the crew in diving gently to where there was enough air to keep passengers alive saved the day.

243a.jpg

http://www.aloha.net/~icarus/

I wonder what fairy land some of you people live in.
Generally I live in a land of reality,

Board waiting in my Vauxhall car I started to read the instruction manual. It stated unless an external aerial was connected mobile phones should not be used in the car.

As to why it did not say. There was a rumour about problems with ABS braking system but this car did not have ABS brakes.

Years ago when travelling with the RAF every battery had to have insulation tape on the terminals so radios, cassette players and like could not work. I would like most other put the tape on before I left home.

But then went on another aircraft and I was told off for the tape and told it had to be shown to work.

It would seem the rules are always changing but it has always been the case when taking any radio transmitter on a boat or plane the captains permission must be obtained. In the UK radio transmitters are not allowed on aircraft other than the official ones. It does not matter if a micro light or commercial rules are the same.

A phone is a radio transmitter and to use it you need permission. The same applies in private property and land permission must be granted. I know many ignore the rules but it's still the rules.

Buses I see publish rules on phone use in the main to help other passengers it states where I live headphones or ear pieces must be used. However no one seems to mind the odd call in the main it's using them to play music which is stopped without ear pieces.

I have had machines go crazy as a result of a mobile phone. Boss banned them at work so workers wanted to hide them. The guy had hidden his inside an electrical panel with ASii control and it was just luck no one was hurt.

The phone when found was crushed under foreman's heal.

Mobile phones digitally encode speech and then use that digital signal to modulate the RF carrier frequency. For various reasons the digital signal has a number of high frequency components which create many spurious sidebands of radiation when they are added to the carrier frequency. In a good quality transmitter these sidebands would be filtered out before they could reach the aerial. In small compact phones there is little if any space for the components needed for adequate filtering. It is these sidebands that create the most problems as they vary from make to make and model to model of phone.

FWIW, there was an episode of 'Mythbusters' broadcast just two or three days ago in which they tried very hard, with a whole range of (old and new) mobile phones, to get mobile phones to interfere with the functioning of modern aircraft avionics and more-or-less totally failed.

Having said that, as bernard has implied, there is always going to be a risk that some mobile device will interfere with some aircraft systems so, given that their use in-flight it not 'essential', it seems a reasonable and sensible precaution to ban the use of any mobile phones (or other devices which attempt to communicate with cellular networks, or which can otherwise radiate RF signals) on board planes.

Kind Regards, John

Board waiting in my Vauxhall car I started to read the instruction manual. It stated unless an external aerial was connected mobile phones should not be used in the car.

As to why it did not say.
This was because of a belief that the RF field generated inside the vehicle by the phone would affect the heath of persons within the car. The jury is still out on whether or not the field from mobiles is hazardous to health.
I guess GM were being risk-averse when they wrote that.

This was because of a belief that the RF field generated inside the vehicle by the phone would affect the heath of persons within the car. The jury is still out on whether or not the field from mobiles is hazardous to health. ... I guess GM were being risk-averse when they wrote that.
Yes, I believe that is/was the case. I must say that I've always been more than a little surprised that mobile phones (necessarily of low transmit power, with a small aerial) can function satisfactorily inside what is largely a 'metal box' - but they seem to! I suppose that one factor may be that the 'box' is not very well earthed although I believe tyres are to some extent conductive)

Kind Regards, John

This was because of a belief that the RF field generated inside the vehicle by the phone would affect the heath of persons within the car. The jury is still out on whether or not the field from mobiles is hazardous to health.
I guess GM were being risk-averse when they wrote that.
But they still put ashtrays and cigarette lighters in their cars....

Yes, I believe that is/was the case. I must say that I've always been more than a little surprised that mobile phones (necessarily of low transmit power, with a small aerial) can function satisfactorily inside what is largely a 'metal box'
I knew someone once who had one of those pre-GSM BT mobile phones - it was about the size (and almost the weight) of a 6v motorcycle lead acid battery. He hung onto it well into the GSM era because it worked on underground trains.

But they still put ashtrays and cigarette lighters in their cars....
AIUI, at least some manufacturers now only put the lighter 'sockets' into new cars these days (mainly 'for other purposes' - as an 'auxillary power socket') and if you actually want to light cigars/cigarettes, you have to buy the appropriate thingy to plug into it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back