Glass crack run - can I fill it with something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a window with a crack that ran years ago when the wooden frame expanded a little and I had to force the window to close it. It's never run any more and there is no shelling.

Is there any fluid/ glue I can put into this to asthetically remove the visual effect of the crack and bond it.

R7JJK8j7lvEWzGIc-tLtzBVJFOKW6V_nQ_IRvVSYpxN3vkyeLywQYCRjxbGSYSm_fqzz_wGsLd2vHBz4HjqClTeIu0q7dcIqaLshxRytVtThiMLmZX2A1G1V3nvYNHrFev5ZfRV4u98ZW8yFdj6ymtAMDfEtVWU4mOpwvE9SiwxliKOchYiyednUuvchN8RIobbqtwyo1KeCBMq3s1ZGvXJvBXup6ugoaAcFkaBHyipCFXR4uPbj5FSYIV09tKPNFau33C_uoa490xhR_sXr7DmQtpdlMo2kzNoBz6MBERBHdueNwAFcGse2oKaEc_z4WCSsqriSUEcO1zfvQC2g0e5Y64yd5zWYvcFkMbtLoKk4WqLcngRqwdXFr5apBTCpxcp7CBMBwxmJtXEFcqbj0I82hXNWidAnXcXBidKfGp7rguuN96xL6jASWfpr7vzP7YAbTIlpzBzpgok6_tili8LcTwI9Xnm9-kJUn3O3547g2rjZynFhiwo7xxpH_pySlyIQbvS2QfMGnxuMHmviloGnWaD9nj0JWrg6rZ4_FRvk7YA3GquMj_Z0w7-KNEICy4rc9_AtZbZz5oUyvqSAWuYGaEsY_NSb_Uu--bB-3skWpEnqxNOzqOWIJss4FxP3FtVMFyBxDSowKerbW7v9NHusF9IOlwvxqt3TFQAPLUUGEWXsgfzajIkfR5nBdTbYLMmsij5IGms7ihcUM11LbUmf=w1058-h793-no

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your obvious contribution, but it is of no help.

At the moment replacement is not possible due to cost.

It's going to get replaced eventually, is stable, and I am looking for interim structural and asthetic glue that the crack will soak up.

I have definatley heard of something in the past, but can't remember what it is called, can you?

Sponsored Links
It's a old dg unit and embedded in a wooden frame.
Eventually it's all getting replaced for upvc.

It's a largish window. No measure tape to hand, i'm not there just now.

Do you know what the glue is called?
In essence you squeeze it on, the crack soaks it up and you remove excess with a stanley blade flat over the top

A windscreen repair company may be able to get a resin bond in but that may cause further damage, Differential thermal expansion ( resin V glass ) may open the crack up further.

At the moment replacement is not possible due to cost.

The costs of damage and/or injury if ( when ) the glass falls out could be a lot more than the cost of replacing and maybe not just financial loss

A windscreen repair company may be able to get a resin bond in but that may cause further damage, Differential thermal expansion ( resin V glass ) may open the crack up further.

The costs of damage and/or injury if ( when ) the glass falls out could be a lot more than the cost of replacing and maybe not just financial loss
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Doubt it will fall out. No shelling or other signs of damage, and stable now for years.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Doubt it will fall out. No shelling or other signs of damage, and stable now for years.
I cant say Ive ever tried repairing a crack in annealed glass.

I doubt you could reduce the visual appearance of the crack much although you might try windscreen repair kit like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Windscreen-Repair-Kit-white/dp/B00IPS4APU?th=1

I believe these products work quite well

If you are worried about it breaking -you could cover it with some clear foil

Personally I dont see much risk of it breaking -esp if its double glazed, I would only worry if you have small kids

just dont lean on the glass or the crack will propagate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back