Glass fibre repair, which epoxy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed today that my glass fibre car bonnet seemed proud/not flush where the hinge is, on closer inspection found the back bolt/stud as pulled out of the G/F bonnet, any idea's how I can put this right :?:

(didn't really know which section to put this in :confused: )

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0012-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
JB Weld - you used to be able to buy it at halfords - go for the 17 hour cure version rather than the 5 minute version (JB Kwik). The 17 hour version has a tensile strength of over 4000 psi

To my (untrained) eye, that looks like a horrible arrangement. If there is'nt a washer under that bolt head, the corners of the head are just waiting to bite into the fibreglass and chew their way through it.

If you can get access to the other side of the damaged area, I would consider putting a metal plate or a large 'penny washer' under the bolt heads to spread the load over a larger area, reducing any chance of a repeat performance.

Sponsored Links
Used JB Weld, seems to have done the trick :D

PICT0020.jpg
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back