Glass roof - lead flashing or flashband

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small extension to my kitchen that had a clear plastic/perspex roof. Last week I had the roof changed to glass to let in more light. The firm has used something called Flashband for the join between wall and glazing bars and there appears to be some sort of resinous substance (glue-like) along the upper edge of the band where it meets the brick wall.

When I tested the roof to be watertight (sprayed with hosepipe from 10ft) there was an obvious leak.

Can someone advise whether the firm should have used proper lead flashing (I had expected that they would) as this flashband gives the impression of being temporary and is already lifting away from the glazing bars in places? They are due to come back in this week as this is not the only issue and I'd like to get an idea of whether I should insist on proper lead flashing.

Would anyone recommend flashband rather than lead flashing for a job such as this? If they can stop the leaks, should I be worried about the future durability of flashband?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Conny companies love f/b
As said much better/professional job in lead.
Either way it has to be slotted into the brickwork.

Sponsored Links
lead or a lead substitute fb imho is little more than first aid.

if they use lead be sure it is oiled on both sides, and a good idea to seperate it from the glass too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back