Glass shower screen to uneven tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're just finishing renovating our bathroom and the last thing to be done is fitting a glass shower panel. However, it's been one guy doing the whole job and he assured me he could tile well, and to be honest it's not a bad job at all.
However, it's a wet room we've installed and there is slight lipping on the tiles and a slight drop in the middle of where the glass panel will go. The shower panel is 8mm glass with only a wall fixing. It looks as though it should sit flat along the floor, with the slight uneveness in the floor I think that will create pressure points that could cause the glass to fracture.
We tried fitting the one we had and the glass exploded. We are hoping the supplier will replace it but I don't want the same thing happening again.
Any tilers or anyone who'd know how to do this? Can we have the panel sitting slightly off the floor? Or is that too much pressure on the wall fixing? Or a u channel?
Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What kind of panel is it? Floor to ceiling?

Cutting pre stressed glass will obviously result in rapid unplanned disassembly as you have experienced.

Are you intending a seal along the floor?
Or just support?

I was thinking of the type of clamp that grips glass balustrade, often stainless.

Swwils, it is not floor to ceiling. It's just short of 2 meters high. Attaches to the wall with a bracket.

Sponsored Links
Screwfix sell stainless channel for glass.
presumably there is a suitable waterproof mastic that will bond steel to ceramic with some kind of gap filling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back