Tiling up to a recessed Glass Block panel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two single width glass block panels in a bathroom wall of an ensuite. The panels sit within a timber frame in the stud wall which is faced with plasterboard.

The glass blocks already sit recessed from the plasterboard and I now have to tile around them in 10mm marble. I am wondering what would be the best way to get a sharp, clean looking finish ?

img_0543529.jpg
img_0548148.jpg

Tiled Edging that sits beneath the tile isn't deep enough to cover the plasterboard and tile edge if sat behind the plasterboard.

schiene-edge-trim.jpg

Options:

Tile flush with the edge of the glass block overlapping the plasterboard edge and back fill with grout to cover up the palsterboard edge.

Insert a wood or metal frame around the glass blocks and tile up to it flush. (easier said than done no doubt..)

Any ideas really appreciated ?

PS Yes if I'd had it my way there would never be any so****g glass blocks there in the first place :D

Sponsored Links
How much would you have overlapping the edge?
If you do overlap a few mm and back fill with grout then run a bead of grab adhesive down the edges of the plasterboard first so it seals the porus edge or the grout wont adhere well.

Sponsored Links
Are the tile edges glazed? If not, I'd say use a timber "frame". It can be glued on after the tiles, and could be a couple of mm proud of the tiles. Use some "stripwood" from the diy stores.

Tiled edges will be just cut 10mm travertine marble. I have managed to find some tile edging that comes in 20 and 25mm so I might see if I can knock up a dummy edge and see what sort of finish I can get.

12.5mm plasterboard +10mm marble + 2.5mm adhesive Looks a bit light on the adhesive for a heavier tile.

If not I'll just have to put an extruded timber frame around and tile to that.

Now if someone only did a 27.5mm or 30mm tile dge. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back