Glass v Polycarbonate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - would appreciate any advice on this. Am fitting a new kitchen and also removing a flat roof over the back of the kitchen to fit a new glass roof (similar to a conservatory roof).

The glass roof will be around 3 meters wide by about 3.5 meters long. Have been given a couple of prices (and varying advice). It seems that to do the roof in glass (with reinforced bars to take the weight) is going to be very pricey - £3,000 excluding the fitting. :eek: Does this sound about right?

One of the other options that has been suggested is using a polycarbonate roof. Apparently going down this route will cut the price by half. Does anyone have any experience of this type of roof/material? Obviously, our concerns are:
1. what it looks like
2. will the polycarbonate have nice green slime over it not long after we fit it?
3. will glass be better for keeping the heat out in the blazing sun/warmth in during the winter?
4. I've heard that the polycarbonate solution means that it'll be very noisy when it rains.

Be grateful for any thoughts on the subject.
Cheers, J.

Sponsored Links
Johnsmith said:
Hi - would appreciate any advice on this. Am fitting a new kitchen and also removing a flat roof over the back of the kitchen to fit a new glass roof (similar to a conservatory roof).

The glass roof will be around 3 meters wide by about 3.5 meters long. Have been given a couple of prices (and varying advice). It seems that to do the roof in glass (with reinforced bars to take the weight) is going to be very pricey - £3,000 excluding the fitting. :eek: Does this sound about right?

One of the other options that has been suggested is using a polycarbonate roof. Apparently going down this route will cut the price by half. Does anyone have any experience of this type of roof/material? Obviously, our concerns are:
1. what it looks like
2. will the polycarbonate have nice green slime over it not long after we fit it?
3. will glass be better for keeping the heat out in the blazing sun/warmth in during the winter?
4. I've heard that the polycarbonate solution means that it'll be very noisy when it rains.

Be grateful for any thoughts on the subject.
Cheers, J.

1. looks ok but you wont be able to look at the sky through it.
2. Depends upon the aspect and drainage etc. Our poly roof is south facing and has no growth on it at all.
3. There is poly roof available with an opaque coating which helps keep the glare of the sun from inside. Ours is clear and the conservatory gets very hot.
4. Yep it is noisy when it rains.

All I can add is that ours is north facing, no green slime, plenty of bird s**t mind !! Yes it is noisey when it rains, the price differential in my experience looks about right.

Best to check with BCO to see if you're allow to do this because I'm not quite sure about this.

I would use a low pitch roof over the flat roof with skylight windows

Sponsored Links
I believe that the regs are that the conservatory must be heated by a separate system to the house heating system, and the conservatory must be separable by doors from the rest of the house. Conservatories I believe don't technically form part of the house.

Thanks - does the price seem about right for a glazed (ie not polycarbonate) roof measuring 3m x 3m (excluding fitting)? There will be associated building work too (in order to build up the walls on which it'll rest etc) and that will be extra I'm told. Cheers, J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back