Glazing a window.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a window frame made for me which I have to install in an old outhouse and then glaze. I am not a builder, I am an engineer. The window is very simple, no opening panes, and I was given the beading ready mitred for a perfect fit. I would like to put 4mm glass in it and if I used putty instead of the beading that would work (I think !) but the rebate isn't that big and while I can use the bead I would need to use some kind of glazing sealant out of a cartridge instead of putty because I will get a bit short of space.

My question is am I thinking along the right lines or should I forget the beading and putty both sides of the glass even though my experience of puttying is very limited. Any help would be really appreciated and thanks in advance.
IMG_7232(2).jpg

Sponsored Links
Just use low modulus clear silicone , using the beads, much easier , much quicker...silicone rebate , put glass in, silicone round glass, pin beads on. Puttying is time consuming and unless you are practiced in it , can look messy!

That's brilliant. Thank you very much Ronnie. Any trade names for a low modulus clear silicone ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys but I need a bit more help please. I'm about to install the frame. Then it's time to buy the glass. Could someone give me a general guide as to the relationship between each light and the size of glass I need to have cut please ? i.e. what is the generally accepted tolerance between the size of the pane of glass and the hole that it's going in to ? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've got yet another question - sorry ! In my position is it better to fit the glass when the frame has been fixed in or do I fix the frame, unfix it, glaze it, and then put it back in again ? Thanks in advance for any help.

Generally glaze after fitting as it makes like easier.
As long as the window is square a 5mm deduction on width and height should be ample

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back