Gledhill boilermate 1 - boiler pump running all the time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System hasn't been running properly for a few months ago, I put this down to replacing two normal sized rads with a full height vertical rad and maybe the system couldn't manage the new heating demand.

However, I realised last week the boiler pump wasn't running at all. Traced the problem to a fried delay timer pcb, replaced this yesterday and the boiler pump is running fine now and the system is all working perfectly again.

The boilermate 1 only has one pcb, the boilermate 2 has two. I couldn't find a boilermate 1 delay timer pcb anywhere, but I've been told by a couple of folks that the boilermate 2 delay timer is the same.

But should the boiler pump be running the whole time? The heating pump works off the timer, but I thought the whole point of the delay timer was to run the pump for a few mins after the boiler stopped firing, but our pump doesn't seem to stop?

The system is run using an oil fired camray 3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One point to check:
The Boilermate is effectively a Thermal Store so it is VITAL that the thermostat on the Camray is set higher than the fixed stat on the boilermate, this usually means running the Camray at it's highest setting

if the oil fired boiler is not running high enough, the boilermate will be calling for heat permanently - which sounds exactly like your problem ;)

Thanks Boilerman, I wondered about that as we turned the boiler down slightly around Christmas time as it was locking out - engineer came and looked at it but could find nothing wrong, but the lockout would only clear when the boiler thermostat clicked open again?

Looking at the Boilermate 1 paperwork I could see that the only switch in the circuit for the delay timer was the tank thermostat - but I wasn't sure why the boiler itself also had a thermostat - I wondered if maybe the tank thermostat wasn't used and the boiler one regulated the tank temp.

I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
Turned up the thermostat on the boiler to just a notch under max and that seems to have done it, the boiler pump is now shutting off a few mins after the boiler switches off.

That seems to be it all back to 100% operation! maybe I'll get another few years out of the system yet:cool:

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back