Gledhill GB35 Combi - please look

SniperOne

Looked in your profile you say you are a S/E plumber,

I could not find you on the Gas safe site under your name,

are you registered?

Its so basic do I have to spell it out for you,

Why do the flames cut out on a boiler?

Because it has reached temperature.

Why does it reach temperature after a few seconds?

answers on a postcard please

David

Sponsored Links
Pumps get hot when they are seized and not turning.

See the FAQ for testing and freeing up.

I want to be gentle but you seem to have very little experience of fixing even simple boiler problems.

Its unfair to the customer!

Tony

Yes that's correct a plumber not a gas engineer.

I have only just started my gas course and work under the supervision of a gas safe engineer but most of the work I have done has only been pipework not boiler fault finding which is why I am struggling with this one.

I expect the gas engineer knows the answer but I don't so thought would post up on here to help get some advice and knowledge for myself and maybe offer a solution myself, so let's not make it personal guys!!

After all we all had to learn once upon a time.

The problem here seems water related rather than gas so gas reg is not essential.

However, I still dont encourage boiler repairing by anyone no gas reg because most faults do have a gas aspect and in any case checking the combustion conditions is part of the requirements for working on a gas appliances.

However, I still consider its unfair to the customer that you done even seem to be able to diagnose what is probably a pump/circulation problem.

Even worse when you are proposing buying parts not required. I have this fear that you would ensure the customer paid for them even though not required. I dont!

Tony

Sponsored Links
A more expereinced person would probably find the fault straight away but hey they haven't even bothered to turn up or call back.

So yes Tony maybe it is unfair, but nobody else would even come out to these people, I am only trying to help them and also gain some knowledge for myself.

I don't want to buy parts that aren't required. I often see people buying parts that are not required through incorrect fault finding, leaving the customer with a huge bill. I do not want to be one of those people hence why I ask questions and seek advice as quickly as possible at this stage of my learning.

Fault finding is an area of interest that I want to get into and yes maybe I don't know the basics but I am willing to learn and be good at what I do.

At this stage of learning I wonder if it's the Pump, Flow Switch, Diverter Valve, Overheat Stat, Air Lock, Pipe Blockage/Reduced Flow so you can see why it's hard for a newbie.

"I don't want to buy parts that aren't required. I often see people buying parts that are not required through incorrect fault finding, leaving the customer with a huge bill. I do not want to be one of those people hence why I ask questions and seek advice as quickly as possible at this stage of my learning"

Thats strange your first post was asking where you could get a diverter valve from, not asking for help with a boiler problem. :rolleyes:

David

"I don't want to buy parts that aren't required. I often see people buying parts that are not required through incorrect fault finding, leaving the customer with a huge bill. I do not want to be one of those people hence why I ask questions and seek advice as quickly as possible at this stage of my learning"

Thats strange your first post was asking where you could get a diverter valve from, not asking for help with a boiler problem. :rolleyes:

David

:oops: :oops: :oops: Yeah, fair point I have worded it all wrong at the start but knowing that most parts for this boiler are not available and me thinking it could be an issue with these parts that's why it was written the way it was, when yes it should have been worded as a boiler issue but it still doesn't mean that I'd have purchased them till I was more accurate on the fault and run it passed the gas engineer.

Obviously you like to fault find :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back