Gledhill SystemMate SP thermal store - Info needed urgently!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! My 5 year old house has a hot water system based around a Gledhill SystemMate SP, which I presume is a thermal-store cylinder.

The diverter valve (and all the lockshield valves on the rads) have gradually started to leak. I could easily replace them myself, but need info about draining/refilling/repressurising the system. Gledhill aren't interested (because I'm not a qualified heating engineer), and their website's download section doesn't cover the SystemMate SP. Local plumbers who I've approached don't want to touch it either, so I'm stuck. :(

:idea: If anyone knows about these beasts or can get hold of the technical manual, PLEASE get in touch, I'd be very grateful. :LOL:

Cheers,
Nick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Kev. I presume it's sealed, because it's got a filling loop and pressure gauge like a combi boiler. Nick.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the manufacturer ought to be able to identify a suitably experienced service engineer for your area or at least supply you with an owners manual.

By the way, one of my back teeth has a chip out of the top, my mate had a look with a torch, he reckons he could push in some epoxy resin used for leak repairs. It sets under water, what do you think ?

Thanks Kev, I'll keep looking...

Brumylad: :eek: not really advisable 'cos the epoxy resin might irritate or kill the nerve of the tooth, and I'd be suprised if it sticks for long. Also, teeth usually chip because they're decayed, and if you just plug the hole, the decay will just continue. I'd recommend you find a dentist (there are loads of NHS ones left in Brum, unlike round here) - but if not, the epoxy might be better than nothing! ;)

Thermal stores don't usually qualify as 'unvented systems' cos the volume of mains-pressure water in them is too small - just a coil-full.

Dunno much about the System Mate - but if it's similar to the Boiler Mate II and other Gledhill products it can't be too hard. With the primary circuit (including the boiler, rads AND the tank part of the System Mate cylinder) all part of a sealed system, be very careful - I imagine the cylinder is probably quite fragile to internal pressure compared with boiler and rads. Check carefully where the pressure is red-lined and do NOT exceed it.

draining down and creating a vacuum in the copper cylinder won't do it much good either I suspect. I'm not sure opening the bleed valves on the rads. would be sufficient either. Is there an expansion vessel (blue or red metal sphere) at the top of (or close to) the copper cylinder.

Thanks for the dental advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back