Thermal Store/Solar/Heating advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after some advice or experiences with setting up a new heating/DHW tank and also to supplement with solar evacuated tubes.

We have no gas in the village. The current system runs from an oil Rayburn Nouvelle.
This is partnered with a Gledhill Boilermate2 200L thermal store system. The shower is fed from the mains pressure hot water, not electric. There is one bathroom and 1 en-suite shower. Bath used rarely. Only 2 of us, no kids. 10 rads of varying sizes in the 3 bed property. Our roof at the rear faces mainly South, but part is South East.

Although the boilermate comes in for some stick, we have found it works very well, and having mains pressure hot water is great. We’ve had the usual problems with the PCBs and Blending valves, but it’s easily maintained. It’s very hard water round here, but we’ve never had to descale the Boilermate coil yet (about 17 years old). We don’t maintain the heat in the thermal store as designed, but only run the Rayburn boiler when the hot water is not sufficient or we have the rads on in winter. The cooker in the Rayburn is on 24/7 so maintains some measure of heat in the thermal store.
We have found running it this way is significantly cheaper than permanently heating the thermal store how it’s designed, yet we still get what we need from it. Roughly halves yearly oil costs.

The missus loves the Rayburn so not yet keen on removing that. I’m not too concerned about initial setup costs of replacing the store and solar panels. I can afford it now, but want to mainly reduce the oil costs for the future and obviously be more energy efficient. Possibly even turning the Rayburn off completely in the summer and using electric for cooking. We could supplement solar with immersion for those periods of summer where some additional heated water might be required.

Any suggestions on the best kind of thermal store? We want to retain mains pressure hot water and make use of the Rayburn cooking heat. I had a look on the web at the Gledhill Torrent RE, but want to see if there are better/more suitable systems out there for our scenario.

I rang a number of local heating engineers, and most don’t seem too keen to offer advice or state they have no experience of this kind of setup. I’m assuming it can’t be that unusual in the sticks. I’m not proposing to do the work myself, but just wanted to initially research the options. Solar installers often want to try the hard sell on their solution, so engaging them will be the next phase after I’m better clued up.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted three Gledhill Torrent RE solars now (another this week) and they work extremely well (one with solar, all with wood burning stoves). Have not fitted any other makes so cannot compare.

Did you do the solar work aswell? What solution did you use?

We have fairly low ceilings upstairs, so also wondered how do you go about sizing which Torrent RE to use. I know there is some science behind it, but assuming our current 200L boilermate seems sufficient, would the 170L Torrent be suitable? The cupboard dimensions reccomended would never fit for us for most Torrents, so not sure how over estimated they publish them. We have no loft so can't place the F&E remotely. Its a slanted ceiling.

Sponsored Links
There is some great information on the DPS website. For my scenario there also seem to be better fit options for smaller cupboards. They also indicate they can custom make rectangle units.

It's slightly confusing as to which system might be best with all the options. But what is the main difference in choosing between Pandora and GX?
I tried using their panex wizard, but it suggested an electric xcel which wasn't correct given the answers I provided about oil/solar etc.

Give them a call,Richard will sort you out and go through things with you giving a dps product code.

They're not cheap but brilliant stores.

Mind you as one of their approved installers I'm slightly biased

Dare I ask, do you operate as far as Shropshire? And do you do the solar install aspects aswell? And experience with connecting to Rayburns......could be a job in it for you.

I rang a number of local heating engineers, and most don’t seem too keen to offer advice or state they have no experience of this kind of setup.

I’m assuming it can’t be that unusual in the sticks. I’m not proposing to do the work myself, but just wanted to initially research the options. Solar installers often want to try the hard sell on their solution, so engaging them will be the next phase after I’m better clued up.

I am not surprised!

It sounds as if you just wanted them to come round ( free ) for an afternoon just to give you free advice!

As far as possible I dont go anyone free just to give advice as thats not fair to paying customer.

Asking for that, you are only likely to get those who dont have enough work but you will find thats usually because they dont have enough knowledge either! You will just end up having a wrong opinion of the skill level in our industry.

Tony

Hi, yes I'm a bpec solar installer and an aha/Rayburn engineer.

Shropshire,depends really but just about to start a contract at craven arms so is that close to you .

Dps will have a list of other installers also

Craven arms is the other side of Shropshire, so I am actually closer to you by the look of it. They do list another installer in Hereford.

Agile, I think you missed the point. I wasn't polling round suggesting I'm after a free ride. No-one is going to pay upfront for someone who hasn't even come round to assess or install anything at that stage. I was looking for someone who has the right experience to come and quote, and that may in turn lead to me giving them the job. Thats the way business works, if people want the work, then they have to show interest. I can't count the number of times I've ditched builders because of lack of interest and not turning up on jobs. Its not easy to find someone reliable and skillful.

Agile, I think you missed the point. I wasn't polling round suggesting I'm after a free ride.

No-one is going to pay upfront for someone who hasn't even come round to assess or install anything at that stage. I was looking for someone who has the right experience to come and quote, and that may in turn lead to me giving them the job.

Thats the way business works, if people want the work, then they have to show interest. I can't count the number of times I've ditched builders because of lack of interest and not turning up on jobs. Its not easy to find someone reliable and skillful.

That may work for you but its not for me! Maybe thats why you dont find anyone skilled giving you their time for free? I give free telephone advice and budgetary prices. If that sounds acceptable to the customer then I will go to confirm the quote.

But I do not do what you want. That is visiting, giving free advice on site and a quote which you can then use as a free specification to get cheaper prices from other installers ( who usually dont have the skills to specify anything. ) I will do that at a nominal fee of about £84.

It gets even worse in London. I have heard, and experienced, an engineer going and specifying a system and giving a quote only to find the customer then gets the same system installed for less by an unregistered East European !

Tony

That may work for you but its not for me! Maybe thats why you dont find anyone skilled giving you their time for free?

But I do not do what you want. That is visiting, giving free advice on site and a quote which you can then use as a free specification to get cheaper prices from other installers ( who usually dont have the skills to specify anything. ) I will do that at a nominal fee of about £84.

Tony

No, the reason I didn't find anyone is because none of the engineers I called had experience in what I was asking about. Its easier to be un-interested than admit lack of knowledge. I have since found a couple who do seem to know the subject and are willing to review and provide a quote.

You clearly have no idea what I want, thats a silly cynical assumption. I have no intention of trying to get free specifications to pass to other installers. What I'm after is obviously not that mainstream and I need to find skilled engineers who know their subject in this. There are obviously different options, and I need to discuss the detail of where best to site tanks, solar panels and pipe runs for my requirement. If it was a simple straight forward job, then maybe it could be done on the phone.
Whilst products can be discussed on the phone, not all the solution can, and thats where assessment comes in. Thats not unreasonable. If I'm convinced about a solution and it fits what I'm after, I'll arrange the job with that person, not play games shopping round for a few quid discount.

You clearly have no idea what I want, thats a silly cynical assumption. I have no intention of trying to get free specifications to pass to other installers. What I'm after is obviously not that mainstream and I need to find skilled engineers who know their subject in this. There are obviously different options, and I need to discuss the detail of where best to site tanks, solar panels and pipe runs for my requirement.

Your requirements do not sound particularly complicated to me.

However, its clear to me that you want to have an experts visit you to discuss your requirements free of charge.

You will of course be assessing their knowledge during that visit. Most will probably be rejected because many people in this industry are not that clued up and even more find it difficult to communicate well. You have already rejected me so its just as well that I did not visit !

Its just because of that expectation that I dont waste my time doing what you want as thats giving a free consultation. You can only give the job to one person and all the others will have made unpaid visits!

It should not be very difficult for you to assess on the telephone what someones abilities are likely to be. Unless it amuses you to see just how bad some people can be !

Tony

I'm glad the op has found someone local.

The relaity of the industry is that I like many others carryout site visits,discuss specifications and needs for free,it's all part of getting work.ulutmately though you pay for my time because in the quote is a built in cost for the visit,the time sorting the materials and also the time fornte guy two days earlier who messed me about.

If I were to charge for everyvisit just to discuss the job,you wouldn't have any quotes to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back