1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermal stores/solid fuel stove

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by JulianP, 27 May 2014.

1. JulianP

JulianP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just a quick question:

If I wanted to couple up a thermal store and a solid fuel Rayburn, would the thermal store need to be sited higher than the Rayburn so that the hot water it produces can circulate by convection?

Julian

2. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, normally.

And you will probably need a heat dissipating radiator connected for thermal convection as well.

Tony

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. Richardthe3rd

Richardthe3rd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sometimes an indirect system is required for Solid Fuel appliances.

5. JulianP

JulianP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. A was thinking ahead for a property I'm going to buy soon probably. It's a perfect property for the RHI scheme I think and one of those pellet boilers.

Knowing very little about such things but a bit of googling leads me to believe that they work (much?) more efficiently when coupled up to a large heat store. But I don't think such a store could be incorporated upstairs, so a potential problem looms as I would rather like to keep the solid fuel Rayburn cooker/water heater as I can get wood very cheaply.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links