Rad circuit not dumping excessive thermal store heat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im testing a thermal store to see if its capable of dumping excessive heat. At moment, for heat input, just the multi fuel Rayburn is connected to it via 28 primaries continually rising. A high limit stat at top of the 250 litre store will turn on the pump to rad circuit in case the store starts to get too hot. There is also a heat leak rad above the store coming directly from the primaries.

The rad circuit flow comes from about half way up the store, just above the connection of the primary gravity flow from Rayburn.
What I'm finding is that the store is obviously very good at stratifying as heat is accumilating in the top still when the Rayburn is rapidly burning and the heating circuit pump has turned on via the high limit stat and pumps heat around the rads. Obviously the heating circuit pump is taking water from the middle of the store only. Eventualy the temp relief valve blew (I'd left this in at the top of the store, as the manufacturers supply it in case the store is fitted as an unvented system...mine is vented to an F&E) The primaries from the Rayburn also have a heat leak rad above the store in the attic bedroom. Any ideas how to prevent this overheat situation. I don't really want to put any motorised valve on the primary flow to the store thus directing all heat to the heat leak rad, which is by the way getting hot.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back