Gledhill Thermal Store + Honeywell Y Plan Smartfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm in the process of adding HW/CH to my house conversion using:

Gledhill Torrent RE Solar Thermal Store
Amptec Electric Boiler (I live on the middle of cornwall - no gas)

Now - the Gledhill install instructions state that the pump/heating valves should come off the RETURN from the thermal store (check the system diagramme here http://www.gledhill.net/building-products/product-index/pdfs/torrent-solar-dia.pdf BUT - the Honeywell Y Plan Smartfit control system I have states that "The Valve must not be fitted on the
return pipework under any circumstances" (install instructions for the Y Plan are here http://content.honeywell.com/UK/homes/Technical/Yplan Installation Guide.PDF. I'm confused. I understand that the Y plan valve on the Return - in conjunction with the Heating Circuit TVR's - could 'seal' the Return (in theory) but the bypass circuit in the Gledhill instructions safeguard against that. Or am I barking up the wrong tree trying to fit a square peg in a round hole - and should just go get a conventional S Plan control system or something else entirely.

I'd appreciate any help you all can offer - my wifes giving birth in 5 weeks and I gotta get this sorted.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
neither. use two zone valves on the return from the gledhill. one to flow pipe to rads other to boiler return before return to rads branch. as per gledhill diagram.

control them from programmer and room stat or programmable roomstat.

connect roomstat n.o. to the valve on flow to rads n.c. to the other valve.

that's it.

The return to the boiler tee's off to form the flow to the heating. Are you multi zoning your heating system? Otherwise you don't need a diverter valve; just a single zone valve.

If you are zoning, then use the S-plan.

The pump acts as both return to the boiler and a flow to the heating... which seems a little odd to me, but perhaps I have misread the diagram. If I can get the next two estimates written in reasonable time I'll look more at the manual....

Brilliant - thank you both for responding, much appreciated. Now - who wants to buy a cheap Smartfit system ....... :oops:

Sponsored Links
No tah - I use the man's wiring system... Not that bell wore stuff ;).

Paul seems to have understood the system a bit better than I. I certainly don't think much of Gledhill's diagrams - perhaps I'll give a little more time.

Now one down another to go...

The one thing I dont like about this store is that the solar coil is below the CH take off tappings. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back