Gloss or satinwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I'm a plumber so not really in decorate.

What the difference between gloss and satinwood? I've finished painting the walls and ceiling in my hall stair and landing and about to paint undercoat to wood work, wonder if I can paint satinwood as I don't want gloss to go yellow.

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Paint can be described according to its sheen, with Gloss at one end and Matt at the other. Eggshell, Satinwood, & Semi gloss are terms used by manufacturers to define products that fall in between the two extremes. I'm not aware that that this follows any defined rules but seems to be manufacturer specific.

If your worried about discolouration then water based paints is the way to go but is a lot harder to get a good finish.

Go with water based satinwood, use a good brush like a purdy synthetic bristles.

Sponsored Links
You can significantly reduce the gloss yellowing problem by using non-white. Titanium white is the worst, and it gets better from there as you move down the colour spectrum. Water based just can't acheive that high-quality lustre, IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back