Gloss paint care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My decorator has left me half of a tin of Dulux High Gloss paint but he says he has lost the lid.

Is there anything I can do to stop the paint going off please?

Thanks

JohnDL

Sponsored Links
Lol. how on earth do you lose the lid for a paint tin?

I'd suggest a couple of layers of cling film with an elastic band around the top to keep it as air tight as possible?

Lol. how on earth do you lose the lid for a paint tin?

I'd suggest a couple of layers of cling film with an elastic band around the top to keep it as air tight as possible?

Thanks. They had 4 men painting at the same time so put the paint in 4 small plastic containers they used to go up ladders. They expected to use the whole tin so binned the lid and then didn't use all the paint.

Thanks for help.

JohnDL

You could always buy a paint kettle, which is what your painters will have used. They come with plastic lids (like tuppaware i guess). But they probably cost more than your paint is worth, so stick to the cling film :)

Sponsored Links
You could always buy a paint kettle, which is what your painters will have used. They come with plastic lids (like tuppaware i guess). But they probably cost more than your paint is worth, so stick to the cling film :)

Thanks. The paint is already going a bit thick, what would be the best way to thin it down please?

Would you mind recommending a 1 litre paint kettle? There seems to be hundreds of them.

Thanks

JohnDL

A painter will have to advise on thinning your gloss for you, but a paint kettle....is...err...a paint kettle. It's just tupperware (or metal) for paint. I really can't see there being big differences in quality.
Is there a lot of gloss paint left and is it expensive stuff?
If not, then it may not be worth all the fuss just to save it. Buy new!

A painter will have to advise on thinning your gloss for you, but a paint kettle....is...err...a paint kettle. It's just tupperware (or metal) for paint. I really can't see there being big differences in quality.
Is there a lot of gloss paint left and is it expensive stuff?
If not, then it may not be worth all the fuss just to save it. Buy new!

Thanks. It's a discontinued colour and we had to have it scanned and mixed which also involved quite a long drive so it needs to be kept.

JohnDL

jam jar or pickle jar with tightly fitted lid. Wash out the old tin with a drop of your thinners and tip that into the jar.

jam jar or pickle jar with tightly fitted lid. Wash out the old tin with a drop of your thinners and tip that into the jar.

Thanks.

Is white spirit thinners?

Thanks for help

JohnDL

White spirit is thinners for most oil paint. Some paints are thinned with water. If you can't tell, try a drop on a bit of stick or something.

White spirit is thinners for most oil paint. Some paints are thinned with water. If you can't tell, try a drop on a bit of stick or something.

Thanks, it's Dulux High Gloss

JohnDL

Hi John. That sounds like the oil-based version so will require white spirit to thin it. Easiest way to tell if it's oil-based is what the tin says to wash brushes in. Wash brushes in white spirit = oil-based paint = white spirit to thin paint / wash brushes in water = water based paint = water to thin paint.

Hi John. That sounds like the oil-based version so will require white spirit to thin it. Easiest way to tell if it's oil-based is what the tin says to wash brushes in. Wash brushes in white spirit = oil-based paint = white spirit to thin paint / wash brushes in water = water based paint = water to thin paint.

Thanks Deccy and yes it says white spirit.

That's a great help thank you.

JohnDL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back