Gloss paint mistake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently attempted to restore our front Victorian panel door by stripping the original paint and applying 2 coats of a black runny gloss. Upon drying i noticed several marks where the gloss had ran down door, which I'm guessing was due to my poor technique. An extra coat was needed anyway, so I added a 3rd and 4th layer of a thicker black gloss, thinking this would fix everything and although the door is looking much better, there are still few areas where the run marks are very noticeable.

I'd appreciate some advice on how best to fix my mistakes. Do i take a heat gun and blast the marked areas or should I use some kind of paint stripper like Nitromors? Either way, i want the areas that need touching up to be seamless.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi siculster,

Best to sand down to flatten out the runs, but if you have very thick paint it may need to be left to harden a few days or even weeks depending on how gloopy the runs are and how good the weather was for drying. Otherwise the paint will not rub down smoothly.

Gloss paint is almost impossible to touch in perfectly, (one of the reasons I stick to satin were possible on rented properties) I think you will need to give it a full coat to get a faultless finish.
You might get away with just cutting into the moulding line if the runs are on a panel.

My guess is the runs you have are from the bottom corners of moulded panels where paint has collected and then run down the door it's the most common problem and quite infuriating as you have checked the door carefully and then ten minutes after you walk away the beggars start to run! Sorry I don't have any easy solution just try to avoid putting too much paint in the moulding lines and sometimes you might be able to save a run with a small artists brush if you see paint starting to pool in a corner.

Good luck,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back