Gloss paint removal from brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to prepare some interior walls for painting. They are sand/cement, no plaster, and have been left as a rough finish with lines draw it with the idea of making it look like stone blocks. This has been painted with thick gloss paint.

We would like to paint the walls with a water-based eggshell but I can't work out how to prepare the walls for painting due to the gloss and uneven texture. I have tried a wire brush in my drill, but that seems to skid over the surface or dig chunks out. I have also tried paint stripper, but that seems to have little effect, only blistering a few small patches.

Any ideas? Or should we just get the walls skimmed?

Darren

Sponsored Links
sandblasting will work but make an enormous amount of dust.

plastering or rendering will work but will not adhere to the gloss paint unless you use somne kind of bonding agent and/or nail expanded metal to it, or use drywall :(

If they have been rendered you could hack the render off and start again, it would not need to be very smooth as long as it is adhering well.

Is it an ordinary domestic house, or what?

try bulls eye odorless primer made by zinsser for just such jobs .www.zinsser.com, ;) :LOL: that will do nicley sir :)

billyo said:
try bulls eye odorless primer made by zinsser for just such jobs .www.zinsser.com, ;) :LOL: that will do nicley sir :)

yes this should work
nice post

-----------------------------------------------------
Advertising link removed

Mod Rupert

Sponsored Links
Yes it is an ordinary domestic house, a 1930's terrace. This 'feature' is only in the small entrance vestibule. I have no idea why they didn't plaster it when they did the rest of the house.

Thanks to all for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back