Glow-worm 18Hxi noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a visit from Glow-worm engineer to 18Hxi I fitted just under 2 years ago.
Customer reported noise when getting up to set temp(70 deg) (I would describe it as some kind of loud, reverberating, kettling noise)
Engineer has told customer powerflush is required and then he will fit new heat exchanger.
I powerflushed system thoroughly before installation of new boiler in March 2006. This was a thorough flush aswell, not one of the 3 hour flushes you hear about!!!
Engineer also said I should have fitted new rads. Why did I spend £1000 on powerflusher I ask myself???
Co-incidentally, I have same problem on same model that is 4 years old.
This system was flushed, but before I had powerflusher.
Has anyone out there experienced same problem ?
Should we all be recommending new rads when we fit condensing boilers ?
Has anyone had experience of the filters/magnets that are available for systems ?[/b]

Sponsored Links
I have had a few of these boilers making this noise. If there is a bit of sludge in the system then they seem to be suseptable to kettling.

Magnaclean is an excellent product. I would highly reccomend. The stuff they catch is really amazing....always fit on the return and the gunge will be caught before getting to the boiler.

Thanks suredupergasman.
I always thought we did a good job on the powerflushing, but looks like we'll have to do this one again.
I have got a Magnaclean on my 30 Sxi ( yrs old ), I bought it ay Installer Live in Oct 2006. It's the only one we've fitted and I haven't cleaned it out yet.
Just been reading about the new Sentinel System Filter. It's much the same as the Magnaclean but it also removes Non-Magnetic particles also.

Sponsored Links
would highly recommend some kind of system filter with this range of boiler(magnaclean, boiler buddy etc....).keep the water clean and u will have many years of happy boiler, its a decent boiler, just doesn't like dirt :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back