Glow worm 30 cxi losing pressure/ leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Category: Heating, Home Heating Systems

Glow worm 30cxi leaking/losing pressure?

Hi
Glow worm 30cxi losing pressure overnight ( I turn off the central heating each night),so I have to re pressurize each morning - then seems to work ok till next morning. The end of the copper pipe leading from the Safety discharge valve to the outside is dripping. There is also water dripping down from the bottom of the boiler usually when it is re-pressurised and turned on in the morning - it is not a constant drip though.
I think last time this happened approx 12 months ago the guy from glow worm replaced the flow sensor. I have removed the outer covers from the boiler so that next time turn it on I can see where the drip originates. Anyone any experience of this ???

Thanks
Brian :?:

Sponsored Links
More than likely its the pressure relief valve that is at fault causing the loss of pressure.
The drip that you experience just after filling is not a problem. (it should be coming from the front left corner if i'm not mistaken).
Replace the PRV and all should be well.

Note see No 10 of the FAQs

Thanks for the advise - checked this morning, pressure at 0.
external pressure release pipe dripping, the ground beneath the external pipe outlet is showing a large wet patch. Discovered water in the boiler top section, this had gathered and seeped through the sealing grommet below the gas valve and run down the gas inlet pipe ending up dripping from the gas service cock. I have dabbed up the moisture and all is dry at the moment - can not see where the water is coming from at present as it is not a constant event . Will this all be linked to a faulty pressure release valve ? Can see no sign of leakage from the valve area itself - but seems to originate from the upper part of the boiler

Thanks
Brian

My Glow worm Ultracom 30cxi has a problem where it will not stay pressurised, charge it up to 1.5 Bar and after several hours it's down to 0.3 Bar.

I've had the usual suspects checked out, ie the pressure relief valve, looked for leaks etc, and have had the diaphragm pumped up with air again and all to no avail, what is worse is that we cannot find any evidence of a leak anywhere in the system and yet the problem remains. My plumber has given up on it - can anybody suggest anything else?

Sponsored Links
IF you have no leak, either on system or external to boiler i would sugest the main h/ex leaking and the system water running away through the condense pipe

Main heat exchanger leaking and passing water out of the condense pipe. Leave boiler off for a few hours and if the end of the condense is visible, see if there is water coming out. It can also be checked by isolating the boiler at the service cocks underneath and if the pressure still drops then it's the boiler leaking.

Ive had it once but on a vaillant. Mysterious pressure loss. Had several of our envineers out to this site everyday. Did the usual stuff. No leaks as all rads on drops and could see pipework. Recharged vessel. Replaced the PRV. changed the AAV's etc. I went out to look couldnt find anything. Put it in for a powerflush and inhibitor. And never had a problem since. I keep in regular contact with that customer and shes well happy. Pressure stable. Possibly alot if corrosion activity going on and blockages etc.

OK thanks, the story's changed since I posted this morning. I've placed a container underneath the outlet from the PRV and charged the system to 1.4 Bar and as the pressure dropped over the course of the morning (to 0.8 Bar) the container began to fill up, very slowly, just a drop at a time, but it now has approximately 250 cc of water in it.

I've also just measured the air pressure in the dry side of the expansion tank – and its still at 1.5 Bar, so that looks OK – right?

So that appears to answer the mystery of where the water is going and it suggests to me that the PRV itself is the source of the leak? What do you think?

You must measure the exp vessel charge with the system depressurised to zero to get a true reading of the EV charge. open an air vent or drain cock to release system pressure. Recheck the charge and if required, pump it up to 1bar. Close all open points and refill system. The PRV does sound suspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back