Glow Worm 30sxi - Noisy Ignition

I'll leave you to keep guessing as to what kind of engineer I am though, and in future I'll make sure to keep an eye on the forum rules too - just like everyone else!

My earlier post may have lacked my normal clarity.

The Forum Rules clearly state that we cannot give advice on gas/combustion related matters and thats why no on has given you the replies you hoped for.

The reality is that the supply voltages to fan etc are irrelevant as its the speed control signal which is more relevant. But those aspects are only checked when there is a fault with that part of the process. The first measurement is the combustion measurements and if incorrect then we work backwards from there.

The gas/air mix depends on the pressures and settings of the gas control components. On a premix boiler these are quite critical. Gas will only burn at all in a 5-15% gas/air mixture.

Tony

Sponsored Links
When you've got a fault with your car the garage will tell you what's wrong and how much the fix will cost. Why is the gas industry any different?

When a customer is told it's the car head gasket they don't run off and fix it themselves do they? If they had that amount of knowledge they'd know what the problem was without asking a garage. It's the same with a gas boiler.

We all know about the PCB shuffle where you clean up the spark electrodes and pretend to change the PCB - £400 please.

It's an industry that needs cleaning up big time. No-wonder people are wary.

When you've got a fault with your car the garage will tell you what's wrong and how much the fix will cost. Why is the gas industry any different?

When a customer is told it's the car head gasket they don't run off and fix it themselves do they? If they had that amount of knowledge they'd know what the problem was without asking a garage. It's the same with a gas boiler.

We all know about the PCB shuffle where you clean up the spark electrodes and pretend to change the PCB - £400 please.

That is fine if it is an obvious fault but some take a bit of investigation, with traveling and time testing, an hour or so can be eaten up easily. Once diagnosed what is to stop the customer ringing around for the replacement of the part, which can take a fraction of the time to change compared to the time it took to diagnose?

In the majority of case;s ( most ) u take your car to the garage , they do not come to you Maybe ?

Incidentally I do not know how it works in Romania , might be different ??

Sponsored Links
Actually on some faults I do repair my own car.

But only if I have the equipment to do so.

Calibrated torque wrench for example.

ODB reader for example.

Would I get a garage to tell me what the fault is then sod off and do it myself? Probably not, but then most garages don't do free diagnosis - and people doing that is part of the reason why.

I also would not expect the garage to tell me how to repair something that if done wrongly would send a piston through my cylinder head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back