Glow-worm 30SXI intermittent F1 issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

I have a roughly 12 year old Glow-worm boiler that has developed an intermittent F1 issue over the last month or so. The boiler has had a few problems over the last couple of years resulting in PCB, water pump and expansion boxes changes. The boiler has been serviced on an irregular basis during this time, the last service being done a few weeks ago after the F1 issue started showing up as it was thought this might be the problem. The seals have been changed. The ignition wire and cap have the correct resistance and the electrode gap checked. The fan speeds are correct.

The issue is very intermittent. After a reset the boiler works fine all day, only to reappear again the next day. Strangely enough the issue seems to arise in the early morning. The boiler will light as it should for the heating the first time in the morning at 4 am after being off all night, but not on the second and maybe third start up at around 6-7 am . Then I reset and all is well for the whole day for both heating and hot water until the next morning when the issue arises again. I have noticed that when the issue occurs the boiler will not even attempt to start. The fan kicks in but, as far as I can see, no start attempt is made. My understanding is that the boiler should make three attempts.

As the issue doesn’t arise when the engineers are here they seem baffled. There have been both suggestions of PCB and ignitor changes being needed, but I am a little sceptical as the issue is so sporadic.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Tom

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back