Glow Worm 30SXi Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for help or guidance.
I have a Glow Worn 30SXi boiler that has been giving me problems for a couple of years. Every so often it dumps the hot water out of the overflow pipe, the pressure drops to 0.7 bar and I have to top it back up I have had three different heating engineers out to look at it and all they do is open the boiler and charge me for changing the gasket, and then tell me nothing is wrong. Charge me £100 then go away and later it does it again.
Does anybody have any idea as to why the boiler would do this and what I can do about it as the plumbers in my area clearly don't have a clue.
Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Absolutely nothing to do with a gasket. The expansion vessel requires air to be pumped into it. Half the time and cost of a gasket set. It seems the incompetents are taking you for a ride mate.

Thanks for the reply, How do I put air into the expansion tank or is this something that only a heating engineer can do?

orla at the top of the listings page is 3 stickys, the middle one is about boilers ,have a look in there about recharging your expansion vessel

Sponsored Links
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for help or guidance.
I have a Glow Worn 30SXi boiler that has been giving me problems for a couple of years. Every so often it dumps the hot water out of the overflow pipe, the pressure drops to 0.7 bar and I have to top it back up I have had three different heating engineers out to look at it and all they do is open the boiler and charge me for changing the gasket, and then tell me nothing is wrong. Charge me £100 then go away and later it does it again.
Does anybody have any idea as to why the boiler would do this and what I can do about it as the plumbers in my area clearly don't have a clue.
Thank you in advance

What gasket? You give no timescale, you say every so often? Has this happened again since you're using the heating? Quick test is, if the heating is on now, check what the bar reading is, turn off at dial on the front, turn on and it will show what pressure it's reading for a few seconds, if above 2.5 suspect pressure vessel as suggested. Bare in mind it could be a blocked pipe to vessel, PRV faulty. Not really a DIY job.

Might be an idea to ask friends, neighbours, relatives, colleagues, etc if they can recommend proper heating engineers. Sounds like the ones you've used must have arrived on horseback. Or maybe a Dartmoor pony.

Sorry for not being specific it does it about every 3 or 4 days when I am using the heating (winter) or about once a month in summer. I have just tried turning it off and on and it showed 1.5 bar

1.5bar with heating on? How long has it been on for or sat idle? Turn room stat up, if you have one, get it working for 10 minutes, then do the same on/off and post bar pressure.

Ok the heating has been on for about an hour, I turned it off and on again and the pressure was 2.6 bar. I turned the heating off at the controller and it started banging and dumped the water out of the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back