Glow Worm 30SXI strange problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 10 year old Glowworm 30SXI that has a strange intermittent problem.

Basically when the timer calls for heat the pump starts and then nothing else. The display has the current water temp (low or ambient) then it just sits there until the power is cycled off and on, then it fires and operates normally.

No fault is ever displayed and there is no sign of the ignition etc trying to light.

We had a guy round why checked all the connections on the PCB and cleaned them, but its the same. His suggestion is the PCB but hes not convinced its that. At £300 I'm not either!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can always go to the car boot sale to see if you can find a cheap PCB.
OR maybe the ZIG has packed up! Car boot sales are an excellent source of these items. See you at one soon. It's where we all go.

I even saw a brand new gas connection chamber for a Vaillant Sine 18 T3 at the local boot sale and for just £10.

Sponsored Links
Not sure why the guys are being a bit hard on you Phil - perhaps they feel a bit playful because its Christmas!

Try Geoff at CET http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp?p...Pcb-2000802731-S-Duval-30/----796957->-801719

If he has one in stock, it will cost you a more reasonable £80.

But it may not be a pcb problem - some of the Gas Safe guys on here might suggest possible other faults.

And at 10 years, do you think a new boiler could be considered?

Have you ever bought a SYMSI Board? I would not fit a supposedly reconditioned board as the guarantee passes to my judgement. Anyway I think they are pre- programmed to fail.
Give me a thermocouple and a V 400 gas valve any time.

OK guys so we have delved a little deeper into the problem.

With the fault happening nothing on the PCB seems to make any difference (disconnecting any sensors and reconnecting etc)

The burner fan is NOT running, and disconnecting and reconnecting the push on connector on the fan transformer makes the boiler fire up and work normally. Transformer and its PBC look OK.

Again all connections cleaned and even some switch cleaner was used but the fault remains.

So we are now at the point of suspecting either the fan, the fan transformer, or the PCB. All equally expensive and potentially a £500+ bill just for parts!

I saw that Glowworm themselves do a fixed price repair for £199 on their website, this is tempting, but with the intermittent nature of the fault I'm worried they will just walk away saying no fault found?

Does anyone have a circuit diagram so we can check the wiring etc? There is nothing in the service manual at all.

Cheers

Just be aware that you need to be gsr to get into that combustion door ......

You need a registered engineer (that knows what they're doing), you can easily kill the PCB on one of these by messing with the connections. The Glowworm engineer isn't allowed to walk away, they're heavily targeted on call backs so will want to fix it in one hit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back