Glow worm 50ff problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i have a glow worm 50ff ultimate boiler with problems, When i turn the heating on, the boiler fires up and reaches it temperature and then cuts out, like it should do. But after 5 min or so, the boiler fire up (burners are lit) and then cuts out within 20seconds and then every 20 sec it continues to fire up and then it cuts the buners out. I have bypassed the room theromstat to see if this might be the problem, but still have the same problem. When i switch the water ON, everything is fine boiler functions properly. problem just on the heating side.

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the quick reply m8.

On the heating zone valve (Honeywell mid-position), is it possible to lubricate or clean the valve ?? so it doesn't get stuck. what are my options to fix this problem?

If the head has a dimple on it one end then remove the head (2 screws under the silver metal cover) and try gently rotating the shaft. You may be able to free it.

Sponsored Links
Just got back in from work, and noticed the boiler doing the same thing on Hot water ? :eek: should i still look into opening the mid-position valve, or could it be another problem?

One thing i have noticed is if i leave the boiler switched off for 1 hour and then try switching it on, everything works fine both on Heating and Hot water. After boiler reaches it temperature i get the problem i described earlier, its like boiler gets too hot yet overheat safety cutoff does not operate. so makes me think could it be a problem with Air pressure switch or the fan?

Its going to be the gas valve getting too warm and knocking off. Not a DIY job.

Its going to be the gas valve getting too warm and knocking off. Not a DIY job.

Is there anything else i can check before i call a heating engineer to look at the gas valve.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back