glow-worm betacom 30C -- hits 60 and shuts off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am hoping someone can help.

I live in a two story ex council house with some small and some large rads (small in bathroom, large in all other rooms). I have a glow-worm betacom 30C boiler. Until recently it has worked fine since it was fitted in 2018. However I am experiencing issues with the heating.

The wireless thermostat instructs the boiler to fire without any issues, the LED lights on the front of the boiler begin to climb and when they hit 60, the boiler turns off and the lights drop until only 30 is lit. I can still hear what I assume to be the pump whirring in the back ground and it stays like this indefinately. It will fire again if I turn the dial to the 0 position wait for fifteen seconds and then turn it back to the water/heating setting. The pressure gauge appears to jump a little when the boiler fires but is showing 1.5bar pressure. some of the rads particularly one above the boiler upstairs gets warm, the others throughout the house however remain cold or very very lukewarm at best.

I am not technically minded enough to diagnose potential issues on this but was hoping someone may have suggestions on hopefully a quick fix, however if not then what I need to advise the plumber when I get them out.

Sponsored Links
Have you had any work carried out on the heating recently? This might include draining the system, a service, etc.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

no work has been done since the boiler was fitted in 2018, it did something similar a year or so back and the (then) landlord got a plumber to come out, they said they had adjusted the boiler and should be ok now.. they were only in the house ten minutes and didn’t take anything off the boiler. I must add it’s not had a service either, but has worked fine since until this issue started. (I now own the house having bought from the landlord!)

the rad in the back bedroom upstairs sits directly above the boiler which is situated at the back of the kitchen downstairs. The rad in the back bedroom has a bleed valve. I have tried bleeding until the system was at 0.5bar and then topping up again to 1.5bar but this has made no difference.

Sponsored Links
I would engage with a gas safe registered engineer then and get it serviced at the same time as rectifying the fault, sound like could be one of a few issues, or get Glowworm out as a fixed price repair and see if they will service as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back