Glow worm compact 80E - how old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know when the Compact 80E was first introduced into the market? I have just bought a house with one in and it looks ancient. i'm having problems with it (insurance is covering the bill) and in addition to my two young children I have another new born on the way next week so want a reliable, effecient combi to keep our house warm and the water running!

The reason I ask about the age is that British Gas are offereing a scrappage scheme for boilers over 15 years old, would this model qualify? I have no manual and did not meet the people I bought the house from so am a little stuck! Is it worth the change?

Any comments most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Forget the scrapage scheme; it is gimmick to make you think you are getting a discount when you are not.

Be wary about anything that includes things like:
special offer
hurry before it is too late
free
cashback
part exchange.
discount

This is the busiest time of the year for installers; nobody worth his keep will give you a real discount until next year.

Only 2 things of interest: how good is the job that is being done, and how much do you have to pay for it.

If company A offers installation X from £5000 for £4000, and company B offers the same for a "normal" £3000, you don't "save" a grand with company A, you loose it.

Ceased production in Dec 2002,no where near 15 years old i would guess

Thanks for your input Bengasman, I have clicked the 'thanks' icon too to make sure you get it through.

When is the best time of year to start getting the best deals for products like this, I guess the summer!?

My new neighbour had a British Gas team round to install his new condenser boiler and he raved about them but aren't they expensive compared to freelance guys?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You buy boats in winter, and boilers in summer.

2 problems with bg, they tend to be very expensive, and between the thousands of employees and subbies, you find very good ones as well as those that can't tie their laces; anybody's guess which one you will get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back