Glow worm Compact - Water only hot when heater is on

SDR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just bought my first house and am currently doing some DIY renovations over the next week before I move in. I noticed yesterday that when the central heating (radiators) are turned off I can only get luke-warm water out of the taps. If I turn the heat on the tap water becomes scorching hot.

Any thoughts? I am OK at many DIY tasks around the house, but heating is not one of them I'm afraid.

I have a Glow Worm Compact combi boiler.

Thanks in advance
Seth

Sponsored Links
I am no boiler expert but this is normally causes by a faulty rubber diafram. The water flow out of the hot tap moves the diafram which signals the boiler to ignite and also diverts the water so it doesnt try and heat the radiators every time you want hot water.

It can be other things but the diafram is the most common culprit.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks everyone. I guess I should just call in the service guy.

compact dont have a diaphram its a motorised diverter

worth checking if its working tho as you will get same prob :idea:

Compact has a diaphram on the hot water flow witch! I think that what he meant

No, he did not!

He thought it had a traditional diverter valve of the Gianonni type because he said that it also diverted the flow away from the rads.

Its easy to check the DHW flow witch. Turn off CH and see if boiler fires up when tap on.

If so then suspect the diverter valve motor. Gland may have leaked and spoilt the motor.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back